40. Not So Fast

Sophia Blossom-Grey

We decided, at first only I and Kev should enter the cabin and two men accompany us. We silently stood before the door of the cottage as a man tried opening it. The door was locked obviously and so he shot at the lock with his gun. It had a silence attached to it so luckily no one will know if we happen to use it.

A man with a gun in his hand walked in first and we slowly walked in after him with light footsteps. It was too empty on the inside, no surprise. The place has very little furniture and it was quite dusty too. Everything was covered in dust and looked like it hadn't been used for years. The walls were covered in cheap wallpapers and there was an old ragged carper on the floor. There were pretty much two rooms in the cottage. The main door directly opened to the small living room, where we were currently standing. Then there was a tiny kitchen in the top right corner of the room and the two rooms on the right. The left room had a big window which was sealed shut and had drapes on it.

We were about to enter in the first room when a gunshot was heard. I immediately ducked my head and took refuge behind the old sofa. It was squeaky and had multiple cuts over it but will do. Hearing the gunshots, couple more men came into the cottage and immediately started firing. I took this time to observe the man. I've been to a lot of Alex's business galas and dinner parties. I'm aware of tons of his business acquaintances. I was trying to figure out who the person was. Someone who could stoop so low would definitely have a purpose behind kidnapping him.

The person who took a shot was a man, fairly tall with a typical black mask on his face. He was dressed in all black too. His hair were tucked in his cheap-looking black hat and he carried a baseball bat in his free hand. There were holes in his mask through which he could see. I tried looking at the colour of his eyes but couldn't see properly since his was back was turned towards me, plus he was moving too much.

He and the gang men had a shooting round where the men successfully shot his right leg, making him fall to the ground. Two men held his legs and hands. They sat him on a nearby chair and started tying him to it with a rope. When it looked like it was safe to get out, I rushed to the second room trying to find Alex since some men already dashed for the first one.

There he was, my Alex. He had his hands tied behind his back and a woman was standing next to him with a knife held near his throat. She might be the one sending the threat letters.

My eyes again landed on Alex and my heart ached at what I was looking at. His hairs were disheveled and there was dried blood on the corner of his mouth. He looked as if he had just crawled in mud and dust. He slowly opened his eyes and met mine. His eyes had lost their usual spark. They were empty and emotionless. He was in a dark blue shirt which I recognise, belongs to him. It was torn at some places and had dust all over it. Luckily, I couldn't find any places where there was blood spots so I assume he hasn't been beaten up, much to my relief. He looked tired and he could barely stand. It looked like if the woman hadn't been holding him with her free hand, he'd fall to the ground any minute now.

"Alex," I said and as soon as he recognised my voice, his earlier tired eyes got filled with hope.

The men were beside me in a second and so was Kev. He kept a hand on my shoulder giving it a small squeeze. The men were about to go near the woman but she took a step back and neared the knife further more to Alex's neck.

"If you come near me, I'll slit his throat in front of your eyes," She said and guested us to take a step back. The man who was standing in front of everyone took a step back and so did we all, who were standing behind them.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I asked and she smirked at me.

"Oh Sophia darling," How does she know my name?

"Cut it," I said and she smirked at me.

"I understand you're in a hurry to save your husband but sorry. I won't let him go until I get what I want," She said and laughed like a maniac.

"What do you want?" I asked once again with my gritted teeth. Honestly, I was getting kinda impatient now.

"If you morons wouldn't have sabotaged my earlier plan I would have had some fun of mine own with dear Alex hear but unfortunately I need to improvise at the last moment. I want 5 million dollars under my name in the bank account I give you and you can happily take Alexander home afterwards." She said as if asking mommy the permission to buy candy and promising to brush her teeth after eating it.

Like hell she is getting any money.

"Okay, Fine." Kev said before I could say anything and I turned to look at him in disbelief. We're a team of 14 people here with guns and torture device and she's a single one with just a knife. Do you possibly think she's in a position to demand?

"Very well then. I'll get going with Alexander here and I'll send you the new address. Deliver the money in 2 days of time and get your dear Alexander back. Now, get out of this place." She said and tried shoo-ing us away just when the sound of a glass breaking hit our ears.

"Not so fast bitch," Came a strong female voice and before we know, the woman's on the floor.