27. André Armel

Alexander Grey

Ring Ring

I had my face buried in my work files when my phone rang, breaking my concentration. I let out a groan in frustration. It was necessary for me to be done with all these files if I wanna enjoy this coming weekend. Due to the recurring breaks I took from work recently, the reason being Christmas Vacation, New Year's Eve celebration and our wedding arrangements, I was kinda lacking behind on all the office works. It's been about three week since Soph and I came back from our honeymoon in Italy, and have rejoin the office.

I looked at my phone to see one of my business acquaintance calling. This is either an informal meeting or a party invite. If this call was to be in the concern of a business deal, it would've been made to Erica, my assistant and not me. I huffed and picked up the call. "Hello, Mr. Smith." I curtly said into the phone.

"Good Afternoon, Mr. Grey. I wanted to congratulate you on your marriage, which I'm so sorry I couldn't attend. You know how busy the work schedules can keep us sometimes. I actually called because I wanted to invite you and Mrs. Grey tonight, to a small formal dinner that I'm hosting at my restaurant downtown for all my businesses acquaintances. I've already called your brother and he has accepted the invite along with his girlfriend and I hope you both will attend it too." Mr. Smith said all at once.

I thought for a second and then eventually agreed on going. We said our share of pleasantries and then I finally disconnected the call. It'll be good to relax a bit for today. I'll work from home this weekend. I returned myself to my file when a special knock was head on my door.

A smile graze my features as my beautiful wife walked in. There was takeaway bag in her hand which she kept on the coffee table. It's been a habit of ours to have lunch together. She always brings something healthy and makes sure I finish it as she knows I sometimes skip lunch due to work.

I closed my file and walked up to her, wrapping my arms around her waist from the behind. I buried my face in her neck and inhaled her calming smell. I left a kiss on her neck after which she turned in my arms, now facing me.

"How about some Chinese food for today's lunch, Mr. Grey?" She said wrapping her arms around my neck. "How's your day going?" She questioned as she quickly pecked my check and sat on the couch, taking food out of the bag.

"Hectic." I said shortly and took my seat next to her. I pulled her on my lap with my arm around her. "Alex, we're in the office. What did we talked about office boundaries?" She said with furrowed eyebrows but still kept her hands on my chest.

"But I missed you, Mrs. Grey." I said and without waiting for her reply, I kissed her. She smiled into it and kissed me back. We pulled away and she served some of the Chinese noodles into a plate and fed me the first morsel, then after started eating herself.

"Oh, Sweetheart, before I forget, we're invited to a formal dinner tonight by Mr. Smith at his restaurant downtown and since he hasn't met you before, he wants you to join us. Kevin and Jennifer are also gonna be there so I was wondering will you go with me?" I asked and she smiled at me.

"You don't have to ask. I'll gladly accompany you." She kisses my cheek and we both returned to our lunch all the while chatting a little bit.

After the lunch, I insisted her to stay with me. I was currently sitting on my chair with Soph in my lap. I was working on my files while she was reviewing some designs for an upcoming shoot next week. It's was about 6:30 when I looked down at Soph who was now sleeping soundlessly with her head on my chest. I smiled at my wife and as much as I love staring at her innocent face, I had to wake her for the dinner.

"Sweetheart, wake up." I said as I shook her goddess of a body slightly. "Hmm." She hummed as she rubbed her eyes open. She was looking so cute, just like a baby. She got out of my lap and stretched a little. She went to her cabin and got her purse while I packed my things. We both then headed downstairs where Sam was waiting for us in the car. Soph insisted we let Sam drive us to office everyday and not my usual driver because she's comfortable with him.

We went home and quickly had a shower. She wore a crisp white shirt with a gray long skirt while I wore a black suit. She did her hair and makeup and after about 30 minutes, we were ready to go. We sat in the car with Mason, our bodyguard, driving us this time as Sam was off duty right now.

 We sat in the car with Mason, our bodyguard, driving us this time as Sam was off duty right now

We shortly arrived at Mr. Smith's luxurious restaurant downtown. Mr. Smith had some shares in my company but his main business consisted of multiple restaurants and clubs.

I kept an arm around Soph's waist and walked us in. I've never been to this restaurant of his before and I was quite impressed at the interiors and ambience of it. It was made of wood and glass and the couches were in the colour gray. There were little plants planted too which made it more cozy. I notice, only Mr. Smith's business acquaintances were present in here. I guess the restaurant was closed today for the customers.

I spotted Mr. Smith and walked up to him. He is an old man in his early 60s with black hair which were turning white and had dark blue eyes. We shared a firm handshake after which I said, "Mr. Smith this is Sophia Grey, my wife. Sweetheart, this is Mr. Smith, one of my oldest business partner." I said, introducing the two.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Grey." Mr. Smith said giving Soph a brief handshake. "Likewise, Mr. Smith." Soph curtly replied. "Welcome." Mr. Smith said and guided us to the table. People hadn't sat down to dinner yet and everyone were having small talks amongst each other. As we walked there, I spotted the last person I wanted to see, approaching us.

"Well, well, if it isn't the famous Alexander Grey." He said, his blue-grey eyes devoid of any emotions.

"André Armel." I spat out with a hint of annoyance in my tone. What was he doing here?