29. Yet

Sophia Blossom-Grey

We reached home and changed into some comfortable clothes. Alex was still in the shower while I went down to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate for us. I poured the steaming hot liquid into two cups and carried them upstairs. I saw Alex sitting on the bed with his phone in his hands. Upon seeing me, he kept his phone aside and took a cup of hot chocolate from hand and sipped it, his forehead creases evening out for a second.

I sat next to him and looked up at him, gesturing him to speak. He nodded his head and cleared his throat a bit before he started speaking,

"I knew André Armel when we were 16. We used to be the best of friends. Not the kind to go to the pubs and party and mess around with girls, no. We were real friends. He helped me a lot when my parents passed away. As you know, when my parents met with the accident, it was still middle of the school year.

Naturally, I was devastated and so was in no position to attend my classes. He took care of my attendance and provided me with timely notes. He cared for me a lot when I went off the rails, he was really there for me and even after everything that went down between us, I'll forever be grateful for him.

We had a common friend, Summer Lewis. Everyone in the school dreamed of her. She had a luscious mess of brown curls on her head and a desirable body. She had a sharp tongue but was friendly. I, André and Summer used to share few classes including History, Latin and Geometry. The only two boys she properly used to talk to, were me and him. We became very good friends with her. After few weeks of the school year, Summer and André started dating.

I was genuinely happy for the both of them at that time and wished nothing but happiness for them but slowly I came to know about how much of a cheater the girl really was and naturally tried warning André about her multiple times but my words fell on deaf ears. She used to openly sleep with other boys on the football team and always make up storied when André asked about her whereabouts. I kept warning André of Summer's tactics but he didn't pay my warnings any heed so I started staying passive from him. He started thinking I liked Summer and was jealous of them, which was absolutely nonsense.

One day, André was having extra football practice and I was alone at his house, waiting for him. I was watching a movie in his living room to kill time when Summer entered. She was wearing a very revealing top and some short denim pants. Her choice of clothes was making me a little uncomfortable but I tried to ignore her. She sat next to me and started watching the movie.

When the credits rolled, she bought a bottle of wine from the kitchen. She didn't use to drink back then, at least I thought so, and thus her actions confused me very much. She poured me a glass of the liquid too and apologised for her ways. She promised me to never look at anyone other than André and begged me to give her a chance.

For the sake of my slowing weakening friendship with André, I forgive her. She drank her liquor and so did I but soon started feeling dizzy. I think she might've put something in my glass of wine. I laid flat on the couch grabbing my throbbing head.

Seizing the opportunity, she started kissing me. I tried pushing her away but I was losing my strength. She straddled me and opened the first few buttons of my shirt. She started kissing on my open chest and then my neck. She herself took off her top, leaving her in nothing but her bra.

I heard the keys jangle. She quickly swapped our places and soon the door opened to revel André. She started fake crying, crocodile tears of course. She pushed me away and my head banged against the floor, returning me to my full consciousness. Summer ran into André's arms and started crying even more.

She lied to him about how I confessed my love to her a few weeks ago and when she denied, I started making false stories about her and tell them to André. She even said that I tried getting her drunk and wanted to sleep with her, that day. I tried explaining André what had actually happened but it was like Summer was a witch and he was under her spell. He believed the cheater over his friend of 12 years and in a moment, he broke all the ties with me.

After that day, I saw him today, after 8 years and I felt as if the hell broke loose. All the things which went down between us, the friendship, the parties, the football championships, the fights, everything just flashed in front of my eyes like a made up movie and I was emotionless. I didn't think what to say or what to do. He looks just the same, Soph. Same hair style, same shining pair of eyes and that same smirk. My first ever friend. I used to call him my brother. All of that shattered the moment that vixen walked into our lives. I miss him still today and people say broken hearts hurt a lot.

How do I explain it to them, broken friendships hurt the most."

He finished his story and I instantly wrapped my arms around him. He buried his head in my shoulder and I soon felt wetness on the area. It was the first time I've seen him crying and my heart shattered with every tear that escaped his eyes.

"Shhh... Alex, look at me." I said and cupped his face, making him look me in the eyes. I wiped his tears with my thumbs and kissed his forehead.

"Everything is gonna be alright in the end, it has to." I affirmatively said.

"And what if it doesn't?" He questioned in a shaky voice.

"Then it's not the end yet." I said and kissed him.