×Brothers×

Once upon a time, under a starry sky two eighteen-year-old lads made a promise to each other. A promise to represent their country together again. A promise to reach their ultimate goal. A promise to be with each other through thick and thin forever. A promise to be friends forever no matter what.

Gazing at the starry NZ sky with red moist eyes full of tears. They had just witnessed one of their immediate aim, their dream shatter. A few steps away from the U-19 world cup, their dream shattered. They made a wish, an unfathomable, unrealistic wish to represent their nation together again on the world stage. The defeat was heartbreaking, the pain soul shattering and weight of an uncertain towering future on their shoulders yet the two friends, brothers actually, decided to be optimistic, confident and certain of each others ability.

They will play for India together one day. It was a promise, a wish and a dream all mixed together.

The last tears were left on the return flight from NZ to IND, resolution flowed through the veins of the two brothers. Students of same university, roommates and brothers they did everything together. They took small steps towards their goals, playing matches for their state team and trying to put the heartbreak of loss behind them. The days were going such and one of these days, Mayank decided it was time to introduce his love of life to his soul brother and bestie.

"You're joking right. Monku, you can't be serious. You absolutely can't be," Rahul muttered looking at his bestie, brother from another mother totally vexed. He couldn't be serious not at all.

"No, I'm serious Hul," Mayank admitted looking at his bestie half amused, half exasperated.

"Monku dande parenge. We will get locked in Jail. How will I even look in Jail? Mujhe toh mom-dad bail out bhi ni  krenge, Monku reconsider please," Rahul begged melodramatically looking at his bestie with wide eyes.

"Let's go," Mayank said dragging a wide eyed Rahul with him.

"Are we really going to break in an IPS officer's home?"

"Couldn't you find someone else?"

"This is crazy"

"If I end up in Jail, I'm going to kill you"

"Monkuuuu, there's still time, its not too late to back off,"

"Monkuuuu,"

Rahul whined the whole way yet he was the one standing on whose shoulder Mayank wished Aashita a happy B'day. The boys managed to escape the house undetected after giving Aashita surprise B'day gift. After that day, Rahul had been declared the official third wheel and warning giver whenever Mayank and Aashita decided to meet though after sometimes, Mayank really-really regretted introducing both of them for the way they'll gang up on him.

2011 came as a happy year for Mayank and Rahul was so happy for his bestie. Mayank got in RCB and became quite popular. Rahul was really happy for his bestie, he was getting to play with stars but personally he was disappointed with himself. He wanted to with his bestie forever but on the first step of their future his bestie was ahead of him. Resolution flowing through his veins, Rahul decided to up his game. He made a promise to be there with his bestie again. They'll play together. Their dream will come true. He won't ever give up on their dream.

They watched the world cup lifting moment together dreaming one day they'll open for India like Virendra Sehwag and Sachin sir. They had celebrated the whole night with their dreams resting on their eyelashes. Dreaming with open eyes, they could quite easily imagine themselves in Indian blues together.

2012 came and went and Rahul still didn't get his IPL debut. Mayank had an amazing year. In 2013, Rahul was dominating the domestic circle with big hundreds and even got his IPL debut. But to his dismay, his bestie got brought by another team and was still more famous than him. Rahul was really happy for him but still a part of him wished to play with his Monku in the same team. Here, in RCB he met a totally meddlesome being with an antagonizing nickname giving syndrome. A being who was a superstar, the fire of the Indian Cricket Team and Rahul's Virat Bhaiya. Rahul will never call him that though. His crazy monkey of a brother.