[Part T] 3. The thoughtful boy.

In the dark night, dim lights from the streets made sure Mingi and Hongjoong could see each other. It was chilly but cozy at the balcony, just the perfect time to go have a smoke after having dinner. With only Mingi making him company, the mood became kind of emotional.

"Your friends from the class are lots of fun, when were you planning on introducing them to us?" The tall boy asked.

"I wasn't, we were just classmates. Well, not exactly but..." Hongjoong spoke with his gaze fixed on the horizon and the cigarette on his right hand.

"We weren't friends either, we literally know each other for a week." Mingi explained, "And I assure you, those guys consider you their friend. It was Yeosang who asked me if we could plan this party."

Hongjoong looked at him confused, "You and Yeosang did this?" The taller nodded with his curious, dolly eyes. "Why?"

"Jongho told me it was your birthday, and I think Seonghwa told Yeosang. You looked strange yesterday, so we decided to celebrate." Both directed their heads to the horizon again. "You said no one ever prepared you a birthday party."

This took Hongjoong by surprise, he thought about what to answer. "Back at home- I mean, back at my parent's place... We didn't have much of... anything. And being honest, I don't think my family cared about this kind of stuff, nor did my friends. The only thing that happened those days was my big brother buying me food when I was little, but he stopped that a long time ago." His lips drew a sad smile, joined by glassy eyes. "S-Sorry for telling you his, we don't even know each other."

"It's okay, now you can tell us anything. We did this for you, didn't we?" The taller smiled brightly looking at Hongjoong and caressing his back. "We decided to trust you, so feel free to trust us."

Mingi was a little words guy, he didn't say much, but when he said something it was absolute idiocy or words as wise as time. Which never failed to amaze Hongjoong, a big smile on his lips.

"So we are friends?"

"Of course we are minion!" Mingi went to hug the shorter.

<<I knew they were going to compare with a minion sooner or later.>>

"You two get inside, last surprise awaits." Jongho told them, heading quickly back in. Hongjoong smoke what was left from his cig and followed Mingi inside. He saw the rest of them around Seonghwa, who had a big box in his hands.

"For you." Seonghwa spoke, extending his arms with the gift for Hongjoong to take, but he was too shocked. <<Wait, no, this isn't real. Seonghwa speaks? And his voice is amazing?! And he has a present for me? And he is smiling?!! And I'm petrified?!?! Put yourself together Joong!>> He slapped himself and took the large box, it wasn't heavy, but it wasn't light either.

"You guys... This is..."

"It's from everyone, but it was Seonghwa's idea" Yeosang explained.

"C'mon just open it!" Wooyoung waited impatiently.

The mullet boy started opening his gift, he had no idea of what it could be and was asking himself why people he hurt bought him anything in the first place. When he finally revealed the object his jaw dropped almost touching the floor. It couldn't be, he was dreaming, there was no fucking way.

"Guys... You didn't have to... Oh my God, thank you so much..." Speechless, he was speechless for some seconds, still not fully understanding everything going on. But when he did...

"Y'ALL BOUGHT ME A DECK? AN ANTIHERO SKATE? ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE? HOW MUCH WAS THIS? I CAN'T ACCEPT IT, I'LL PAY YOU BACK! THANK YOU SO MUCH OH MY FUCKING GOD THIS IS UNREAL I CAN'T BELIEVE-"

"Yah!" San stopped him. "Don't thank us, it was Seonghwa." He pointed to him. Hongjoong's eyes followed San's thumb and got close to Seonghwa, attacking him with an unexpected hug.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much." He buried his head on the oldest neck. Even though he couldn't hear it, Seonghwa felt the shorter's chest vibrate. He guessed the words.

<<"For you." This is the first time I heard your voice.>>

-

After this, weeks passed, filled with work and exams. Seonghwa got a compliment for his photography project about expressing emotions through flying birds, Yeosang maintained his C+ average, and Hongjoong was praised for his drawing skills, improving each day that passed.

The eight grew close, eating together at lunch, meeting before classes, hanging out on the weekends. Hongjoong gave his old skate to Yunho, and they went together to the skate park on Sundays. Mingi and San loved spending time together playing sports or simply hanging out. Jongho, Wooyoung, and Yeosang loved playing tricks on each other, the best prank wins.

And Seonghwa and Hongjoong... It was amazing, they enjoyed painting together. They grew used to meet in the afternoon none of them had classes to draw together, watch movies, or cook.

Step by step, and because he spent so much time with Seonghwa, his sign language was getting better. He learned without realizing it, out of curiosity. Seonghwa always talked to Yeosang, San, and Wooyoung with ASL, so watching them worked as practice.

Today both were watching anime together at San's and Seonghwa's dorm–– that was way bigger than Hongjoong's. They were watching Devilman CryBaby, highly requested by WooSan.

[Do you like her? She's pretty.] Hongjoong said pointing to the female lead.

[She's pretty but I don't like her.] The taller said lying beside Hongjoong on his bed, laptop on his lap.

The boy with the brown hair looked at him confused. "How do you think she's pretty but she's not your type?"

Seonghwa sighed, not sure if what he was going to say was dangerous or not, but if he didn't like it the door was right there. [I'm gay.] He signed.

Hongjoong looked at him even more disoriented, "I- I don't know that sign yet..." he explained shyly.

The older opened a note tab on the computer, "I like guys." he wrote. Hongjoong just opened his mouth, nothing came out. Seonghwa grew worried "Are you okay?" The other shook his head realising he had daydreamed longer than what he thought.

"NO! I mean yes, I'm okay with it, I don't mind. You're the first person I know in real life." He explained quietly.

[Really?] Hongjoongd nodded. Both went silent, adjusting their gazes to the screen again as Hwa played the show again.

<<Well, that was awkward. You fucked up once again Joong.>>

☻Extra scene since this chap was short ;D

"Wooyoung, please!!! I've been wanting to do this since you told me!" San begged on his knees, the waffle recipe on his hands. "I'm not asking for much!"

The shorter had his arms crossed. "I literally told you I was going to cooking lessons yesterday and now you want me to bake you a whole Bakery!" He had already baked a carrot cake, brownies, and cupcakes for San, that was enough practice for the rest of the month.

"B-but... we danced a lot, I'm hungry again... Aren't we friends? You want me to die!? If that's so, I'll be glad to die on your kitchen floor..." San placed a hand on his forehead and leaned backward. Wooyoung was fed up at this point, he took the biggest wooden spoon in the room and smacked it on his friend's head.

"OUCH!?!?!?'' San covered the hitten spot in pain.

"'Ouch' what bitch? You make your own food." He stated getting out of the room.

"I thought we were amicus ad aras." The taller whined still in his place.

◘It's still short but, bro, quality over quantity I guess?◘