[Part T] 5. The boy that was in love.

He didn't know how but he finished on a park with Yunho, both sitting on the swings. Yunho wore a long white coat and a scarf. It was past midnight and the streets were filled with partying friends and families enjoying the night. Warm lights glowing.

Hongjoong looked at his feet, consciously playing with them. Yunho looked at him patiently, there was a reason for his call.

"I always fuck it up..." He finally said. Yunho reminded quiet, waiting for more information.
"I tried my best... I even wore my best clothes, I talked with his parents and tried to be as polite as possible but I still fucked up." Again, Yunho said nothing.
"You know, I understand why he got mad. I literally talked to him twice in like two hours, and when I talked to him he couldn't read my lips, I just realise that now... Him feeling left out by his own family and friends should be so fucking frustrating."

Once he started speaking he couldn't stop and told everything to Yunho. "Like, I was so amazed by his castle-like house and clean kitchen that I didn't even say Merry Christmas to him... I didn't even bring a present for his family, and I still need to repay you guys for the skateboard!" He grew irritated thinking about his actions. But decided to stop here before his anger took over.

Yunho noticed he was finished and after some seconds he spoke. "It's okay, we all have those moments. You just have to give him time, you did well by getting out when he asked you to." He paused and looked away.
"You both will grow out of it."

His tone, his actions and his words made it look like if something similar happened to him. "How- how do you know?" Hongjoong knew he was hiding something. Yunho giggled expecting the question.

"I don't like talking about myself."

"I don't care, we are friends now. If I tell you my problems you should tell me yours too." The phrase came out sharper than what he wanted it to, as expected, he didn't have much experience talking things like this with people. He just wanted to help.

Yunho smiled big at his friend and laughed, understanding he did that with the best of intentions.
"Okay, okay. I'll tell you, tough boy." Yunho mocked, Hongjoong glared at him.

"There was this time when I liked someone, I liked them so much. We went together to high school. They were so much fun, and we spent hours and hours with each other. We became best friends, we also went together to dance classes after school. We ate together, did homework together and sat beside each other in class." He paused and looked at Hongjoong, who listened carefully.

"I decided to tell them, to tell them that I was practically in love with them since we were 15. But things didn't turn out as I would've liked to.
Later that year they failed class. I had to go to the university, one we both wanted to go together, and he stayed in high school. I knew their grades weren't the best, but they got worst when I told them that I liked him- them. Fuck."

Hongjoong took notice of what he said. "It was a boy?" The other nodded. When no one was speaking, instead of silence a group of people singing Christmas Carols a street away from them could be heard. The smell of hot chocolate filled the cold air.

"It's okay, you can tell me. Is not like I'm homophobic or something." The shorter said and made Yunho augh.

"Yeah, so that happened. But later we just stayed as best friends, it was a little awkward at first, and we lost contact for over a year, but we are good now. I'm not saying Seonghwa is gonna stay mad a year though, but everything gets better with time!" The tall boy got up with his energies recharged, stretching his arms up to the sky.

"You had a lot to say for a person that 'Doesn't like talking about themselves'."  He followed the big steps of his smiley friend.

"Shush about that now, let's get some food! Jongho and Mingi told me they were near this place so let's go!" The enthusiasm on his voice spread throughout Hongjoong's body too.

-

Seonghwa was on a video call with Yeosang, San and Wooyoung telling them what happened.

[I don't know why I got so mad!] He explained.

[Where's he now?] Wooyoung asked, music and family members at the back of his screen.

[I don't know, he got out of my house long ago.]

[Don't worry, just apologise when we come back from holidays.] Yeosang suggested. Unlike Wooyoung, he was calling on his room.

[Yea, that's what I'll do.]

[We should all party in new year's eve. After having dinner with our families, we eight can go have fun. And you can apologise.] San finally joined the conversation.

"THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!" Wooyoung jumped, his family getting startled. "Yah! Wooyoung come with us and stop shouting!" A girls voice said.

[I gotta go now, my cousin is so annoying.] He disconnected the video call.

And soon all of them followed. Seonghwa threw himself to the bed again, still a little angry at Hongjoong. But somehow, thinking about him couldn't make him angry, his smile...

<<NO! Seonghwa, stay in your line. Just friends.>>

His father entered the room, his son looked at him. [Let's go have a walk and watch the parade.]

-

"Guys, guys! If we go a little faster we could make it to the parade!"

"Easy for you to say, Mingi Mr.Long legs." Hongjoong complained, following as fast as he could the two tall boys with Jongho at his left.

"Yah Mingi calm down we'll make it without rushing." Yunho stopped him a little. "Did you got any presents?"

"Hmmm... My parents gave me money to buy whatever I would like." He said. Jongho and Hongjoong listened from behind.

"Did you get something?" Jongho asked his childhood friend.

"Of course not." He shrugged his shoulders, very much used to these situations.

As a child, in school, everyone came from Christmas holidays with new clothes, toys, plushies... He was that kid, the one nobody asked: 'hey what did Santa gave you?'. They all knew Santa would not give anything to him.

His parents tried, more or less... But they didn't try enough, the 'special wine for the night' was way more important. At the end of the day, he didn't care. That night he and his brother always went out to see the amazing decorations and vibe of the town. Receiving love was—and is— more important for Hongjoong than physical gifts.

Jongho rubbed his back, not with a sad or sorrow intention, he did it because he wanted Hongjoong to know that now he could have all the love of the world if he just asked.

The night flew, and it was already time for the fireworks. The four of them made their way to the open alley where everyone stood to watch them, a gigantic crowd already there. There was a big Christmas tree in the middle of the street, they couldn't get past it.

The sky was painted black, the lights of the city didn't let the stars shine as bright. Constant noise and people talking one upon another made the atmosphere dense and lively.

The first firework launched, it was small and shined yellow, the tree in front of them covered half of it but the picture was beautiful. A lot more followed non-stop. Pink, green, purple, red... All reflected on Hongjoong's hair. Seonghwa, who was some feet behind him with his family, could see it.

His stunning side profile, his glowing eyes and his mesmerising smile. The world stopped for a second. His hair, his earrings, his neck, his ears, his beanie, how his eyes squished when he laughed at some stupid joke Jongho probably made. The world was Hongjoong.

Oh boy, the world was Hongjoong...