Chapter 49

3 days. 3, whole, days of constant, all out, war.

The first day was the worst, no safe position had been secured yet. The only reason they managed to gain a foothold was the starting bombardment and the suddeness of their arrival. After the first wave of fighters landed they all began to secure a perimeter. Luckily the start of the war meant that everyone was at their full potential.

At dusk of the first day the legions of AKs and Paladins finally were able to be put into position. As the ships decended a combined sigh of relief swepped over the troops as they were finally able to relax a bit.

On the second and third day nothing much changed. The troops of the United Kingdoms of Remnant were able to secure more and more of the Realm of Darkness. The base camp had been set up.

Over these three days Y/n managed to get the support of the soldiers. His men were reluctant to accept with the young king but as they learned that he was there with them, fighting alongside them, eating and chatting with them in the messhall and sleeping in the same barracks as them, they began to like him. For them Y/n was doing exactly what a leader should do. He did not order them to fight, he did not sit around in a safe place while they fought. Instead they knew he was right there with them.

Today was a rather important day. One day prior a giant Grimm pool has been sighted and the leading officers have come to the conclusion that securing said pool would dramatically weaken Salems forces.

This war on the Queen of Grimm will not just result in the hopefully defeat of the biggest enemy of Remnants people, but it also brought insight into their ancient enemy. It has become clearer how Grimm ectually are 'born'. Their source is the Grimm pool. That much was already known from previous encounters with Grimm Dragons, which were able to produce the tar like substance that filled the pools. But over the past few days it has become clear that the size of a pool defines what Grimm are able to come out of them. Next important information they were able to gather was that the pools have a fixed spawning time, one that made everyone hopeful that the war will soon be over.

Coop: "Hey Kingy. Nice seeing that we got neighboring sectors again." The bald man said with a bright smile. The other three members of Coops team only watched the two leaders exchange.

Y/n: "Don't get too relaxed, I can't always save your ass." Y/n said teasingly as the bald man blushed. "Had you and your team been briefed already?" Y/n asked.

Coop: "Yep." Came the answer as he pulled out a pack of cigarettes. "Any idea what could be between us at that damn puddle?"

Y/n: "The size could allow for everything to come crawling out of there. I fear a Titan but we have no idea." Y/n sighed as he looked around. It was 1 hour till the operation began. "I asked this every other leader of the partaking teams, but please make sure to keep your teammates alive. We already lost 10 Huntsmen after they got too relaxed." Coop, who Y/n knew as kind of jester, always filled with happiness and jokes, for once did not smile as he took a drag from his cigarette.

Coop: "Yeah, poor Vi and her friends." It was another thing Y/n decided would be important. Instead of not mentioning the ones that died he made sure that everyone was informed, each and every Huntsmen deserves to know that one of them died. Luckily thanks to having established a save supply line between the frontlines and the Kingdoms, they were able to fly back the bodies so the families could bury them. "May they reach the gods embrace."

Y/n: "We- I should have made sure they are safe." Y/n said sadly but his self-pitying was interrupted by Coop who slapped him over the back of his head.

Coop: "Listen boy, I knew Vi and her team from all the way back at Shade. We both spent day after day lementing about the possibility of a gruesome death we decided that once the day comes we will be ready to accept it while making sure we take the fucker that will kill us with us." Y/n nodded, he read the report of team VOLTs shocking demise. The team of female hunters was suprised by a Titan Ursa as they managed to secure a smaller pool. There was not much about their fight with the beast but it was clear that they were outmatched. The team did call for backup but at the time of their arrival all they could do was collect the remains and take over the guarding of the sector. They must have barely missed the end of the fight as the Ursa was still there, slowly turning to dust. They back-up team reported the Ursas entire back being ripped wide open by what must have been Onyxias doing, as her body was the only one that was nowhere to be found, except her left leg, resulting in the theory that she got swallowed by the Ursa before she blew herself up, ending her life, possibly as the last surviver of the encounter, and the life of the Ursa. "Vi, Ony, Lilly and Teal. These for ladies had more balls than most of the men I worked with, they were stronger than you could imagine. But as I am sure you already know, strength is useless against being suprised." He took one last drag from his cigarette and dropped the bud, crushing it under his foot. "I will be going now."