Chapter 12

Mariah's P.O.V.

Location; Shopping mall

I see Katie running out of the store, and I take my tanto to run after her, but I'm stopped by Brandon.

"let her be for now" he says, how can I let her be? she just yelled her heart out.

"I still need help securing the store, if you don't want to do that, then get some rest" Brandon orders, I leave and end up sitting down on my bed, and Brandon's leaves me behind with Leo.

"are you okay?" Leo asks, why shouldn't I be, okay? Because I didn't know how much trauma Katie lived with. I'm just angry, angry at myself, but I shouldn't be, it wasn't my fault. But I still feel like I could have helped her as a friend.

I understand Lunas's concern about Katie at the helicopter now, I understand Lunas's situation, even though I think she should have found another solution. I just hope Katie is okay right now.

"Mariah?" Leo asks and sits right beside me; I can feel his body heat on my shoulder. I forgot to answer his question.

"yeah, I am just concerned, that's all" I say while forcing a smile. "I always questioned how Kate became so tough, but I had no idea that she lived like that" I say, tears forcing themselves out of my eyes and down my cheeks.

I notice Leo's jaw tense from the corner of my eye. He lifts his hand against my cheek, while wiping a tear from my cheek. "don't cry" he says in a whisper with a comforting voice. His voice is soft and gentle, I could fall asleep every time I hear him talk, he can get my brain to stop over thinking, and I really need my thoughts to go away.

I nod, my cheeks still feeling wet. I look up at his face, his jaw is still tense, his bottom lip looking soft, I really want to try to kiss him. wait what?

I suddenly feel Leo pull me closer, but not into a kiss, into a hug. His head resting on mine, while his muscular arms are holding me, he smells like vanilla. I didn't know a person could naturally smell like food, but I don't complain. I feel my body relax and I wrap my arms around his body too. I let myself cry a little bit.

I didn't know he could have a soft spot. He pushes me back with both his hands resting on my arms. "you're not falling in love with me, princess, are you?" he says with a smirk.

"I know nobody can resist my charm" he continues.

"oh, shut up" I say while laughing and playfully rolling my arms. "me falling in love with you. You wish". To be honest, I don't know if I am falling for him. I send him my middle finger while walking away and he pretends to be shocked.

Meanwhile Leo's POV

I pretend to be shocked by her showing me her middle finger, but it's honestly so fucking cute, it's so typical for her to play all tough.

I look down at my t-shirt and notices wet spots, she cried in my arms. Even though I shouldn't be happy about her crying, I'm happy that she felt comfortable in my arms. The memory of her in my arms is still etched into my mind and I shake my head before standing up.

Brandon surely needs help securing the back of the store. I know this is a furniture store, but how and where did he find so many wooden panels.

"hey, need some help?" I ask.

"yeah, come here son" he points, while holding the wooden panel against the back door. Isn't it stupid to do that, I think he notices the confusion in my face.

"We are putting them in a direction that makes it almost impossible for the outside to open, at least for z's" he explains. "and also, I left something to break the wooden paddle from the outside."

That makes sense, zombies are not smart enough to use those tools. I help him holding the panel in place, while he is using a hammer to fasten it against the wall.

Should I ask him for permission? I know he isn't Mariahs father, but it doesn't feel right to make a big move on her without him knowing or allowing so. Maybe it's not the right moment, I decide against it. I'm still unsure whether or not to ask Katie or Brandon, both of them are really protective over Mariah. And I feel like Katie doesn't fully trust me.

It's fine that she doesn't trust me, I still trust her. I hope she'll be alright out there, it's also her turn to have the night shift.

"Do you like Mariah?" Brandon Interrupts my thoughts with that simple question. I think for a while, and apparently it takes too long for Brandon.

"why am I even asking, I really hope you don't hurt her" he says pointing the hammer at me.

"I won't" I reply way too fast, and he grins. "I would never hurt her; she deserves the world" I continue. A small smile playing on my lips thinking about her.

"at first, I just wanted to annoy the fuck out of her, but every time she smiles it warms my heart" I end my sentence.

"you're a good boy" Brandon pauses "but keep in mind that we are in an apocalypse, and that Katie would never let Mariah get hurt." that's true, I need to convince Katie to trust me first, I don't even know if Mariah would still get with me.

But I know that Katie and Mariah love each other, and that it would be the best if both liked me, that would make Mariah happy.

I just nod as a response.

"so, the boy is actually in love with the devil" Luna approaches. I can't tell if the devil part was said jokingly or if she means it.

"First of all my name's Leo, and hers Is Mariah, use the names instead of being a blabber mout" I snap at her. Mariah would be proud if she heard the way I talked back to her. I'm not used to talking back at people, as a soldier you always listen, because nobody cares about your opinions. Of course, I talk back with jokes, but never in a serious manner.

"somebody's protective there" she answers, gosh she has a thing for being annoying sometimes, she can be a sweetheart when nobody is around, but she is trying to play bad cop in front of others.

"at least I know how to protect the ones I care about" I talk back, she looks hurt at my words, maybe it was too much.

"easy kid" Brandon says with his hand on my shoulder. Luna ends up going to the beds, maybe taking a nap, she surely had a hard day today. Should I say sorry?

I decide to stand up and go to the bed aisle, I should have a talk to her, but I won't apologize, she should know her place. She is laying on her side, her back towards me "hey" I call out for her, and her body reacts, so I know that she is listening.

"can I ask something?" I ask

"sure"

"who would want to pay you for leaving Katie behind?"

......................................................

Writers; Kaynad M. & Maryam S.

Word count; 1260

Side note: we tried a new POV this time, and we hope you enjoyed the world in Leo's eyes