Prologue

Katie P.O.V

A black van drives through the gates of the orphanage, the window is tinted so I can't see who I'll be babysitting, for the next few days. Momo came to me asking earlier today, if I could watch out for some girl who's going through a trial, Momo being Momo and amazing at persuading me, I said yes. Besides only these few days and I'll never see her again, and I can go back to being the outcast of this god forsaken town.

I'm known as the outcast of this town, always in and out of foster homes, being as reckless I can be and always fighting over something. Hell, you can say I'm the most hated person in this stupid town, it's not even the old drunken person, no it's me. Parents probably use me as a story to scare their little kids, I don't really care, they can think what they want and say what they want to, I just know they don't have the guts to say it directly to my face.

They park in front of the porch, I sigh but get up nonetheless and walk out of my room, I head downstairs where Momo is and the girl, her back turned to me but from what I can see, she's tall, at least taller than me, my guess is she's 5'5. Momo looks at me and smiles causing the girl to turn around in curiosity. She has dark brown hair, which is set up in a high ponytail, her eyes are light brown, she has a nice tan and she's wearing a red tank top under a black leather jacket and she's wearing some comfortable looking black sweatpants.

"Katie, there you are!" Momo says in a greetingly manner and I give her a small smile, as she walks behind me and places both of her hands on my shoulders. "Mariah, I'd liked for you to meet Katie"

"Hey, it's nice to meet you, as you can guess already my name's Mariah" Mariah says offering my hand to her, I look at it then at her then back down on her hand and hesitatingly shake her hand. From the looks of it, Mariah is my age or younger.

"Nice to meet you too, I'll be the one babysit-" I cut myself off and brown eyes narrow at me in a glare I correct myself with a forced smile on my face "-Looking out for you, I'll be looking out for you" I correct giving a small nod.

"I'll be looking forward to it, I guess" She mutters, probably not liking the way I phrased it. Not that I care, she'll only be here for a couple of days before she has to go back for whatever trial that's going on in her life.

"I'll leave you two to it then" Momo says clapping her hands together excitedly. Momo leaves, and leaves us with an awkward silence. Mariah is fiddling with the end of her leather jacket's sleeve before looking up at me with a small smile.

"So, what's the deal around here? Everybody in that town looked like a total bore" She says fixing the strap of her bag. I look at her surprised that she's deciding to talk to me. "I mean they all look so prissy perfect that it hurts the eyes" That comment made me chuckle.

"Oh, you have no idea" I say walking towards the kitchen, signaling for her to follow me. "This town is really into perfect images and book clubs" I tell her, and she shakes her head.

"Sounds like my old hometown, they used to have BBC grills almost every day just to show off their new achievements" Mariah reminisces shaking her head a small smile playing on her lips. "I hated it, if I as much as just see a grill, I will break it"

"Is that a promise?" I joke and Mariah chuckles. We don't talk much but the awkwardness is finally gone, and replaced by a comfortable one, but it was quickly interrupted by the yell of a bleeding girl, Molly another girl at the orphanage, walks in clutching her side, I hear Mariah gasp.

"Molly! Are you alright?" I ask and Mariah runs over to her worriedly. Molly falls to the floor and Mariah crouches down with a hand, on Molly's back. Molly looks up, her eyes white and green spit escapes her. Mariah's eyes widen and she's quick to move away but Molly lashes at her and Mariah is forced to try and hold her back.

"Fuck!" Mariah screams, my eyes go wide, and I look around the kitchen as I hear Mariah's grunts of struggle and Molly's growling. I spot the meat beater and grab it, I run over to Molly and raise it high up then whack Molly hard on the head with it and Molly immediately falls to the ground unconscious.

"Is she..." Mariah asks and we both stare at Molly's lifeless body then slowly we both look at each other, Mariah's face holds fear probably mirroring my own. "You just whacked her on the head!" Mariah exclaims and I shrug.

"She was attacking you!" I exclaim throwing my arms out, Mariah mimics my action making me glare at her. "Hey! Don't copy me" I yell at her and she makes a face at me and stands up, then grabs another meat beater and we hear screams. "Come on"

"We're acting like the white girls in the movies!" Mariah exclaims behind me as we run out towards the screams, and we watch in horror, as what looks like zombies run around and attacks other people at the orphanage.

"Girls!" I hear a familiar voice yell and we both look towards Momo, who runs out of one of the bedrooms. Her hair is messy and she has some blood on her. "Girls, you're alright, thank god!"

"Momo, what the hell is happening?" Mariah asks, Momo is about to answer her, when a Zombie runs towards Mariah. Her eyes widen and she swings at the Zombie whacking its head harshly, it falls to the ground and she looks at me proudly. "I whacked that one"

"Mariah, focus!" Momo scolds and Mariah nods immediately, we both turn to Momo and follow her as she starts to walk. "We need to get out of here, there are Zombies everywhere. You're bitten and you're one and from what I've seen, you're dead and you're a zombie"

"Holy hell" Mariah murmurs holding the door open for me to go through, revealing the streets filled with Zombies and humans running around. "This is like an episode of the walking fucking dead"

"We can't stay here or else we'll become Zombies" Momo says and both Mariah and I nod in agreement, and we start off towards the fence when suddenly loud growls are heard behind us, we all look back and watch as Zombies start to stream out towards us.

"Go, girls, you have to get out of here. I'll distract them" Momo says and Mariah shakes her head at Momo as if she's crazy.

"No" Mariah declares but Momo has already run towards the Zombies. Mariah tries to follow but I grab her wrist. "What are you doing? We have to save her"

"It's too late, we have to go, now".

..................

Writers; Kaynad M. & Maryam S.

Word count; 1208