Chapter 29

Mariah's P.O.V.

Location; unknown

While I keep getting distracted by the sound of the Heli, I keep looking at Levi.

He sits there, his body looking lifeless, he used a lot of energy against Brandon and Leo. His eyes are nowhere near us, he just looks out. He doesn't even acknowledge our presence.

"do you want some water?" Luna tries to give him a bottle, he just stares at her. He has no tears left to cry and no voice left to talk. As a response he just looks away again, I believe he is looking back at the mall.

His cheeks has som kind of glow to them probably from his tears drying on his skin. He suddenly stares at me; his eyes are wide open.

"Hua?!"

"Katie took Hua and Noah out in time" I try to keep my voice calm, to not alarm him.

Instead of talking he looks back out as a response.

We must be by the hospital soon, I expect us to arrive before Katie and the others, maybe by 20 minutes only if everything is going good for them.

Katie told us that there are z's in the hospital, so it will also take some time to come out of the hospital.

"get ready to get out of the Heli, we must be there in about 5 minutes" Brandon says from the front seat. I know that the get ready' part is more dedicated to Levi, but he probably didn't even listen. But I don't blame him for that.

I take my leather jacket up my shoulders again, because I let it hang a little down. The explosion and the heat from the mall is still sticking to me. And forever on Xiomara and Mateo.

The thought just pains me, I didn't really get the chance to realize it. That is the only bad thing about knowing a lot of people in an apocalypse.

That everyone can die and therefor the chance of losing somebody is higher.

The Heli is moving downward, leaving a tingly feeling in my stomach, Levi looks unbothered while Leo looks pale from feeling sick. It's rare that he stays silent for a long time, but he went from dodging Xiomara's knifes while childbirth to pull Levi away from her. I put my hand on Leo's hand, he glances up at me before looking down at our hands and playing with my fingers.

"we landed, let's get out" Brandon breaks the silence once more, but its back as fast as it went.

"get the bags and we'll get through the hospital as fast as possible" Brandon pauses and looks at Levi "will you be able to get us through? You're the only one here that has been through before" and he nods.

30 minutes later

Levi stands up front, but he doesn't look alerted at all, a Z could come and just bite him, and he won't do anything about, that's why I am standing really close to him, probably getting on his nerves but as much as him and I didn't get along I still want to make sure he's alright.

I see the hospital doors; no light is shining through because its fully dark outside. Behind these doors Katie, Hua and Noah must be waiting, so we walk through.

At first, I can't see them, but the cars headlamps make them noticeable. So, I walk to the drivers' sides window, and Katie rolls it down.

"everything all right?" Katie asks.

"Xiomara and the child didn't make it" my voice breaks halfway through the sentence.

"how's Levi?"

At that I just shake my head, to signal that he isn't feeling good.

Meanwhile Katie's P.O.V.

I'm driving away from the mall anxiously waiting to spot the helicopter in the sky, my hands are sweaty, and I can tell Hua is just as nervous as I am, did they make it out? I haven't noticed the helicopter leaving the mall yet and trust me you'd be able to hear and see it.

"Come on, come on" Hua mutters under her breath as she looks out the window. Noah is in the back sleeping, not knowing what's happening. I focus on the road, clenching the steering wheel, an unsettling feeling in my stomach.

They can't be dead, they're probably in the helicopter. I'll see them again; I'll see Mariah and the others again. I have to. Mariah's too stubborn to die anyways.

"YES!" Hua suddenly cheers loudly; I jump in surprise but glance out the window quickly, to see the Helicopter.

"Thank god" I whisper in relief and start to drive faster towards the place we agreed on. I glance at Noah in the review mirror to make sure he's alright, but he's sleeping soundlessly on the bags. The hospital is not that far from the mall and with the car we get there faster than last time. I spot the helicopter on the rooftop.

"Alright, listen because this is important. There are still zombies in there so you can't be loud. The other should be down here soon and then we'll just pop out to the forest a few miles away" I explain to two, Noah has woken up and is sitting in my lap eating a small granola bar.

"Why the forest?" Hua asks in confusion. I get the confusion, both Mariah and I doubted the forests at the start but it's actually pretty practical there.

"Mariah and I are experts when it comes to forests, we used to reside in any hut we could find in a forest or make a small camp. It's easier and there's not as many Z's out there like there are in cities" I explain as Noah curls the granola bar wrapper and hands it to me. I throw it into the backseat without a care.

"Are we just going to leave the car and the helicopter?" Hua asks, I simply nod which makes her look at me questionably, "Why they're our only sources of transport that isn't on foot."

"We won't have much need for them out there, the car doesn't do steep and muddy places and the Heli won't be able to land there" I explain, she nods at me even though she still seems a little skeptical.

"We'll probably leave the car at the edge of the forest if we ever need it for a quick escape" I tell her shrugging a little, the doors open up and they all walk out, I roll down the window and just from the way Mariah's walking I can see something's wrong. She walks over to my side of the car.

"everything all right?" I ask.

"Xiomara and the child didn't make it" Mariah tells me, her voice breaking, and I feel my breathing stop. Levi just lost someone he cares for and the child of hers. I glance towards Levi who's sitting beside Leo on the ground. Leo's sharing some food with him probably trying to cheer him up even though Leo looks like shit himself.

"how's Levi?" I ask in concern as my eyes wander over to the boy who's staring at the ground in sorrow.

At that she just shakes her head, to signal that he isn't feeling good. I bite my lip, when suddenly I feel the door to the coor slam open and Hua is quickly out of the car towards her older brother. Both Mariah and I share a troubled look. We forgot Hua knew Xiomara too.

"What's happening?" Noah asks, I open the door to the car, and he jumps out. "Levi isn't feeling good, how about you try to cheer him up?" I ask, with that Noah dashes over to Levi.

....................................................

Writers; Kaynad M. & Maryam S.

Word count; 1282