Chapter 24

I am pulling my gun, shooting the few zombies in front of me, every time I shoot my surroundings seems to lighten up a bit, its pitch dark outside. As I pull out my walkie-talkie and push the button to talk, I shoot once more.

"general Triden, I am almost there, over."

It takes a few seconds for me to get a respond.

"wait with the fire until the sun is going down again, you should meet Knox, east from the destination, over."

"copy that."

As I look around, I try to make sure what way to go, it's hard to go the right way, without seeing much. But the must be around 2 miles away, and then I need to get to the east side, it won't take long to get there, but it would take a long time to talk to Knox.

He is an absolute asshole, he won't ever agree with me and he kills for fun, sure I do the same, but he is on a whole other level, doing things with the bodies, that shouldn't be allowed. General Triden wants to keep him around for that reason, but I might kill him myself.

And as I know him, I am sure that he would do some extra shit, like getting some zombie dogs in there, I have never seen one, but I know for sure that Blake experienced that, Blake is the son of general Triden.

I think that Blake is way too handsome for them to be related in any way, he is around 6'1, dark brown hair it is almost black, and brown eyes, with a sharp jaw line.

In the beginning I might have had a little crush on Blake, but that was before I knew abou-

My attention is caught by the bush on the side of the street, there is coming a rustling sound, I have already my gun ready, holding it with one hand and the other has a flashlight, while I support my hand with the gun.

I can't shoot what I can't fucking see, I take a few steps back, making sure that I won't get overrun or surprised.

The rustling gets more intense until I get a glimpse of what it was, and it was a fucking rat.

"you afraid of rats now, huh"

I am surprised by hearing the familiar voice.

"oh, come on Blake, you would even run away from ants"

I put my gun down now, I am relaxed and happy to see him again.

"if I remember right, I was the one saving you from a mass of zombies" Blake says with a smirk. It's true, he saved me at the beginning of this apocalypse, I was almost dead, and honestly, I waited for me to die too, but then he came.

Back then I hated him for that, that hate changed to a crush, and now it's just changed to being friends, not more. He won't be with someone like me anyways, even if he wanted, Triden would not allow something like that, I am just a doll in his game.

"why so depressed?"

My shoulder gets pushed by Blakes shoulder, I just look up to see him smiling, gosh how can he be happy when the world changed to something like this.

In the end we all changed I guess, but I bet that Knox has been like this from the very beginning. Blake and I made bets, about him, when we were forced to stay quarantined, in order to let Knox, do whatever he wants. We have always been in his way; he did things in a monstrous way.

Blake betted that Knox had a family and one of them died and he became like this because he maybe felt guilty or something like that.

My bet is that he was just an old, bitter and lonely man, that everybody disliked in the past, don't get me wrong he still is, but he has earned respect, or he thinks that it is respect, a lot of people just fear him.