Chapter 13

Katie's P.O.V.

Location; Shopping mall

I am sitting on the cold floor, my head buried into my arms that are on top of my knees that are pulled to my chest. 

I cry, I actually cry a lot without people noticing, I also cried back then. While the car crashed, I buried that memory for a long time, I tried to forget it and I needed to forget it, I still do.

I thought that I could be happy now, with Mariah, Brandon and even with Leo, but Luna's still there, she keeps reminding me of all the bad things in my life, and I actually blame her for everything, and I know I shouldn't blame her for the drunk driving or for my foster home not doing a proper job, but why couldn't she just love me?

I cry more at the thought, what did I do to her? Is anybody capable of really loving me, or am I just imagining the past 3 months with Mariah, I felt like I had a sister, I felt like I had a family. 

My face is starting to feel puffy, and my jeans are getting wet on my knees. I hear a loud noise that makes me move my head up to see something, but instead I feel a sharp pain on my head, and I fall into darkness.

Later, Mariah's POV

"she's still not here" I state anxiously while looking out between the wooden panels trying to catch a glimpse of her. "it's getting dark" I continue trying to change their minds. What if something happens to her, I'll not forgive myself. I had the chance to run after her and I didn't do that.

"she'll be fine. She's a strong girl" I hear Luna say beside me. Still contemplating whether I should punch her or not, but I decide against it, for now at least. But she's right, as much as it pains me to say, Katie is strong enough to handle a night alone, she isn't stupid either.

"Go to sleep, Mariah, I'll take her shift" Brandon says, I know he's concerned too and that would be the only reason why he wants to take the night shift.

"if she isn't back by tomorrow when everybody wakes up, we will search for her" he promises me.

Leo pulls my arm slightly and I follow him, how can I possibly fall asleep?

"are you questioning how you could fall asleep right now?" Leo looks down at me. How can he know what I am thinking? Is he somehow reading my mind? 

"how-" I tried to say but he cuts me off 

"I know you too well princess" 

"you were awake the whole night and most of the day too, that's how you'll be able to sleep" he says.

He follows me to my bed, and is about to leave, but I catch his hand, holding him back. I need someone with me right now, I can't be alone with my thoughts. 

He bows down and kisses my forehead, making the already present butterflies in my stomach turn into a whole damn zoo "she'll be fine princess" he says in a promise. I notice him blushing I furrow my brows before nodding and laying down.

"run" she yells. I look back and see Katie getting taken, they're pulling in her, digging their nails in her making her arms bleed. And also, their teeth making her turn into that. The brain eating shit holes.

I just stand there, I won't run, I'll never run away from her. But it isn't her, another voice inside me tells me, maybe her soul is still in there. I debate whether or not I should run away, and I end up doing it. I left her behind, I left her to die, and I didn't even shoot her before she turned.

Meanwhile Katie's POV

It's still black, I can't see shit but not because it's dark more because there is a bag over my head. I tried moving, but it seems like I'm tied to a chair. 

"You don't want to do that" I hear a timid voice says. I let out a sarcastically laugh for a second "and why won't I want to do that."

"it will attract the z's and the men" the female voice says.

"the men? You not one of them?" I ask.

"no, I'm not, I was about to loot a pharmacy in a shopping mall, when they knocked me out" she says softly. I notice that the same thing happened to me, wait?! What about Mariah, I hope they don't have her, I feel my heartbeat get faster.

"are we the only once here?" I ask again.

"as prisoners, yes" she answers.

"I'm Hua, and you are?" she says with a cheerful and soft voice. 

"Katie" I answer.

I hear somebody come near and open the door, the footsteps come close, and they pull the bag off my head messing up my hair too, if Mariah was here she would probably comment on it. I'm blinded by the light my eyes soon adjusting. I see the girl named Hua in front of me on another chair, she doesn't look frightened.

She's Asian, my guess would be Korean or Philippina ethnicity, she has dyed blond hair, and the darkest brown eyes I have ever seen. She appears not to be that tall, maybe even smaller than me. 

I notice the man that took the bag off me, he looks really aggressive, he must've been drunk. Drinking is so fucking stupid and I that's something both Mariah and I agree on.

He hits me, I taste blood, my lip must be bleeding. I'm sure he hit Hua too, this bastard. she looks so fragile, pretty sure she's Mariah and I's age. 

"you like that?" the man asks but I spit the blood out of my mouth and onto his shoes. 

"go to hell" I retort with a smirk, which earns me another punch to my face, this time it was my cheek, that will surely leave a bruise.

"Watch what you're saying, I'm the one in charge" he says, while having a creepy look. I look at him in disgust.

"good for you" I say unbothered. He storms out, properly because he got annoyed. Now I'm left alone with Hua again.

"What are your favorite flowers?" I ask Hua. She looks at me confused. "well, we can have a conversation, while we wait" I say shrugging my shoulders.

"are you stupid?" she asks me, not so softly this time. Rude.

"Maybe" I say, while I dislocate my thumbs to get me free of the rope tied around my hands. I saw it on the arrow when television was still a thing and it helped me confirm with my old foster family, they were old drunk and thought it would be funny to tie me to a chair in the basement.

I hated them, but I for sure learned a lot that I can use now.

I easily get out and wince at the pain of my thumbs, I push my thumbs back into their places, and then free Hua. Why am I freeing somebody I don't know? Because she's still human, she seems to be so fucking innocent, maybe she has a soft heart still, even though I think it's impossible in this world, or even an act.

I look at my thumbs, they still hurt, and I'm sure they will get bruised soon. 

Its first now that I notice that they got my gun, my knife, my leather jacket and most importantly my fucking ice axe.  I will kill these bastards. I just got that weapon!

"can u be the distraction, while I hit him the next time he comes in?" I ask Hua, she nods as a response.

.....................................................

Writers; Kaynad M. & Maryam S.

Word count; 1303

Side note: there was a lot of POV changes in this chapter, it was a little hard to continue the story with only one POV and I hope it's fine:)