Chapter 4

Katie's P.O.V.

Location; Forest in NY/Clevedale Camp 

"If anybody is in the radius of this message, there is a camp nearby, we have food and water. If you want to survive in this world, come to us" the message repeats itself. Over and over.

Brandon looks behind at Mariah, while his left hand still is on the wheel, "worth trying?" he asks. Mariah and I exchange look shortly, and I nod at Brandon, ignoring Mariahs opinion or look. I am the close minded one here anyways, she won't complain anyways.

"Well, we'll go to the camp then" Brandon says, and step on the pedal making the truck move faster. The same radio message still repeating itself, and none of us, bother to turn of the radio. "If anybody's in the radius of this message, there is a camp nearby, we have food and water. If you want to survive in this world, come to us"

We spend our whole morning on finding this camp, they weren't precise about their location, I think mainly because of the risk of looters coming, which by the way agitated both Mariah and I, but we eventually found out where it might be. I just want to get out of this car, since the conversation Mariah and Brandon had, I am irritated. "I think if we go south from here, we might end up in Clevedale's military station" I pause "I am sure that the camp is nearby that place".

"how would you know" Mariah teases, I am not in the mood for jokes, so I just try to ignore her again. Brandon slightly looked at me for a second and watched back at the road. I am sure he noticed that something is not right.

"Clevedale military station, here we come" I hear Brandon say.

The rest of the ride, I was zoned of. Thinking back, about my old life. The bad part of my life.

My earliest memory was when I was 6 years old, I ran around a Christmas tree, it belonged to my very first foster family. I really saw them as a family, but I only ended up staying there for 3 weeks, I didn't even know the reason for them hating me.

Ive been to 21 foster families in the past 11 years. Even my own parents abounded me. I am sure that I wasn't loved by any friends nor family members. I was always the most hated in our city, and if I died at the time, nobody would have cared. I was always better off without family.

"we're here" I hear Brandon announce, and snap me out of my thoughts. I shake my head trying to rid myself from the thoughts.

Barricades, soldiers and weapons. That's something that we barely see, now in the apocalypse. But something is off, we're standing in front of this place, and they're already opening the door, they are not checking who we are, what we bring with us or if we are infected. We are driving right into the camp, the soldiers on top of the barricades, barely acknowledge our existence. I step out of the car, and an older dark skinned general approaches us. "welcome to Clevedales military camp", I ignore him and try to focus on our surroundings.

There are children running around, women doing laundry, men chatting and cooking. It's too peaceful, it shouldn't be like this, they're pretending like the world outside is totally fine. It gives me really bad vibes.

Mariah gets out of the truck, and Brandon comes around the truck to my side too.

Mariahs starts talking

"hi, I am Mariah, and this is Brandon and Ka-" I cut her off "Kallie" I give him my hand to greet him, Mariah looks at me in confusion, but tries to hide it in front of the general.

"my pleasure" the general says, "follow me, to the tent". The 3 of us exchange looks, and I walk first behind him. Something doesn't feel as It should, and I can see on Brandon's look, that he feels the same. Mariah has always trusted, that there is good in people, so she's probably trying to see the bright side.