Chapter 36

Mariah's P.O.V.

Location; sand dunes state forest

"Let's go over this one more time for everybody to understand" Brandon says. We're sitting around a foldable table talking about our plans. A few weeks have gone by since the whole, I blew up the gas station and we've been neck to neck with the others. They've tried to kill us and almost succeeded but we're smarter than them.

"Alright, Leo takes Hua and Noah out to the car and trailer" I start off tiredly. We've gone over this five times already.

"You and I cause a commotion, grabbing everybody's attention" Levi says.

"while Mariah and Luna put fire to the place" Leo finishes and Brandon nod. Rubbing his hands together nervously as he looks around at us.

"What we're about to do would be homicide, you guys have the guts?" Luna perks up, I nod my head. I've already killed like, three of them.

"Alright, then it's settled, we're moving out in an hour" Brandon says and leaves the tent. Levi and I nod at each other in acknowledgement, and everybody leave until it's only Leo and I left in the tent.

"You ready?" I ask sitting down in front of him. Leo sighs and runs his hands through his hair before grabbing my hands and nodding.

"I guess, but you're the one doing the hard part, so are you ready?" He asks. I stare at him for a second before nodding.

"I guess it's a little easier since they have my father's personality" I mutter looking down at my lap. I hear him shuffle a little before he places his head on my lip, I look at him a little startled. I smile at him and run my hand through his hair. How does he keep it so neat?

"I love you, you know" He says. I feel my breath hitch, he smirks liking the reaction. I grin at him and lean down kissing his lips tenderly.

"I love you too" I say.

He smiles at me and grab my hand, playing with my fingers. He likes to do that to distract himself. We sit in silence for god knows how long, just enjoying each other's presence.

"Guys, we need to get ready" Hua says as soon as she sees us. I nod and Leo sits up, he squeezes my hand one last time before standing up and helping me up. We walk out and I walk over to Luna. I cross my arms as I stare at the tanks of gasoline.

"Leo, take Hua and Noah and get out" Brandon says, Leo nods as he holds a bag out for Hua who grabs it. He straps a bag onto Noah. Noah walks up to Levi who hugs him tightly. He then moves over to me and I kiss his forehead.

"I'll see you soon, kid" I say smiling at him. He nods and kisses my cheek before walking over to Leo's side holding his hand.

"Alright, we'll meet up at the car in an hour. Keep your eyes on your partner" Brandon says and with that we all divide. We have a sled that we'll use to transport everything in. I grab onto the handle of the sled and we trudge through the forest towards the way we've made to their camp.

We managed to get a lot of information from that old man, who trespassed to our place. Leo and Levi killed him right after though. Which also led to more rivalry between our camps.

"You alright?" I hear Luna ask, I snap myself out of the trance and nod wordlessly. I don't like talking to her anymore, she's not telling us where Katie is or why the fuck she left, she's barely tolerable these days.

"I know you don't like me because of Katie told me where she-" My glare cuts her off. Is she implying I'm jealous that Katie told her and not me? I'm not, trust me. I just wish we know why she left.