Chapter 18

Mariah's P.O.V.

Location; Shopping mall

It's really silent without Katie here, usually I hear her complain or just make one of her dark jokes, but today all I have is Leo poking me.

Not that I am complaining about Leo, but I just hate it without Katie, and she doesn't even have time for thinking about me.

"Mariah? Do you even listen to me?" Leo says, I just nod while I am still zoned out, I hear him sigh and then stand in front of me with both of his hands in my arms.

"she will be fine Mariah, you are not her mother, stop be concerned" he says, a little bit too harsh.

"yeah, I know."

I am in front of my bed with my little backpack on it, we all have decided that it would be smart to always bear a backpack with useful things with us. While Luna and Xiomara will stay here.

I think Xiomara starts to get impatient, she doesn't seem like a person that likes sitting and doing nothing. And I can see in Luna's eyes that she wants to come too. Brandon comes in the bed aisle and talks to Luna and Xiomara, I notice two walkie talkies in his hands.

"if we have problems, you will hear from us" he says while reaching one of the walkie talkies out to Luna, while she only nods.

"are you two ready?" he asks us, Leo, Hua and I look at each other and then back to Brandon, and we nod.

We all move down to the basement, Brandon wanted to check out the electricity in the control room, but we agreed that it would be the smartest to move down to the basement to check out the waterpipe.

We move silently down the escalator, now that I think about it, if we get electricity the escalator would start working again.

later Leo's POV

There doesn't reach any sunlight down to the basement, so we all are using our flashlight, Brandon walks in the front, while I walk behind, both our intention was it to protect Mariah and Hua in the middle.

Now that I think about it both Mariah and Hua must be under 18, I know Mariah's turning 17 soon, but Hua looks younger.

"we are here" Brandon says from the front, I only now notice that there is water up to the middle of my shin. It stinks down here.

We all stand in front of a wall full with different pipe and big water filters. Brandon uses his flashlights to look at that wall, but he seems more than clueless.

"Leo, u said that you have experience with this" he says while looking the most confused I have ever seen him. I move closer and also using my own flashlight. I can feel that Brandon is restless, probably because he feels useless right now.

"Brandon"

"yeah, son?"

"do you mind going to the control room" I say, I think he understands that he is just interrupting me. He nods and takes Hua with him. Now am I alone with Mariah. Mariah?

I move around, using my flashlight to see Mariah but she is a little blinded by it, I choose to go to her, my hands on her waist pulling her closer into a hug.

I can't see shit only my flashlight lighting down on the ground from her waist where my hands are positioned and there I see, two feet I look up with my flashlight just to see a Z standing in front of us.

Mariah POV

Leo hugs me tightly, but his body stiffens suddenly. I am about to move my body, but instead Leo pushes me to the side of where we stood.