Chapter 1

Mariah P.O.V. (2 Months later)

I look at my reflection in the water. My face is covered in dirt, and my hair is in a high messy ponytail. I cup some water into my hands, and splash the water onto my face. I look towards Katie who's doing the same. Katie's a 5'2 girl, she has light brown hair and dark brown eyes. She's a year older than me, making her 17.

"What are you staring for?" Katie asks raising an eyebrow at me. I shrug and look back at the water with a smirk.

"Nothing, just at someone who looks worse than the zombies themselves" I say, then feel cold water being splashed on my face. I look at her and glare before throwing some water at her too making her gasp.

"Are we done now?" I ask raising an eyebrow. She's about to answer, when we both hear thundering footsteps, and we look towards the source. It's coming from a lot of Zombies coming our way. We both look at each other in an 'Oh-Oh' manner before we both start to run in a direction; however, the Zombies follow. I pull my Tantó out of my sheath and Katie pulls out a gun.  

"There are too many!" I exclaim as Katie turns a little

"There are too many!" I exclaim as Katie turns a little. Shooting one of the Zombies in the head. Now, Katie and I are good enough to kill a few of these, but we're not that good, besides they are too many for only two people to handle. I look ahead and see a Zombie; I ready myself before I slice off his head easily. It gets easier every damn time.

"Hey" I hear and look ahead, where a man with a fire rifle is standing. He has dirty blonde hair, with matching green eyes, he's sporting a beard that almost every lumberjack has and he's about 6'3 ft tall, he's quite bulgy showing he probably works out or at least used to in the old world. Katie and I share a look silently contemplating what to do.

"Get behind me!" He orders and we both shrug doing so, he points at the head length before starting to fire at them, he gets most of them only two left.

"We got them" Katie assures him and Glocks one, I pull out my pistol and shoot the last one. For the fun of it, I blow at the end of my gun just like they do in the western movies. "Really?" Katies asks and I glare at her.

"Let me have my moment, woman!" I exclaim putting my Tantó back into my sheath, and my gun into my gun holder at my side. Katie turns to the unknown man.

"Thanks, and all but who exactly are you?" Katie asks all guarded making me silently chuckle. Out of the two of us, she's the more uptight and serious one, sure she can be fun, but she definitely is the leader out of us two.

"My name is Brandon and this place isn't really a good spot to talk" He says, and I nod in agreement along with Katie. If that many Z's were here, there are sure to be more nearby.

"We have a cabin nearby; we can talk there" I say and Katie shoots me a look, but I ignore her and walk ahead of us. Just because she acts like the leader doesn't mean I always listen. We hurry to the Cabin making sure to kill any Z that we see. One less Z is a safer place...I think?

"So, what brings you here, Brandon?" Katie asks raising an eyebrow at him as I sit down at the table and pull my feet on top of the table. I grab the rock that's usually on the table and start to sharpen my Tantó.

"My Town is nearby, and my daughter and I were on our way out" He says looking scared as hell. I mean I don't see any daughter, unless he's crazy or she's invisible, maybe even both.

"What happened?" I ask furrowing my brows. He lets out a shaky breath, his eyes glazing over, and he clenches his hands around the edge of the table in fear, worry or anger, I have no idea, but I sure know it isn't happiness.

"My hometown was overrun by the Z's masses and masses of them. We were a pretty secluded place but we were already ready for them, unfortunately that wasn't enough. When everything looked black, we decided to pack it and run" He says and visibly gulps.

"We barely made it out of the street before we were chased. We ran towards the forest and then we split up. I haven't seen or heard from her since and I fear for the worst" He says and starts to fiddle with his thumbs probably trying to rid his thoughts of his maybe dead daughter. Katie looks at me unsure of what to do and I put my Tanto down.

"Don't, maybe she just had to reroute, where exactly did you tell her you want to meet up at?" I ask cocking my head to the side in confusion. Katie knew it as good as I, we had to move, if those Zombies swarmed that hometown nearby, this place will be next!

"At the edge of the forest, there's a clearing there. I used to take her there every week, before the apocalypse, she knows that place" he takes a short pause, and continues "or she used to know" now it's clearly that he is sad. There is an awkward silence, and Katie interrupts the silence, and says coldly:

"well, we should get moved then" Both Brandon and I look at her shocked. Brandon because he probably can't believe he might not see his daughter again, and me because Katie usually takes more time before making a decision. She gives us an expectant look, then flails her arms upwards signaling for us to move.

"Get ready while I pack!"

..........

Writers; Kaynad M. & Maryam S.

Word count; 998