Chapter 20

Mariah's P.O.V.

Location; Shopping mall

Everything is going perfect, we have electricity, running water, and nobody died today, and I hope it stays that way. It was yesterday when Katie and Levi left, it's still dark outside so I am optimistic.

And honestly, I believe that they are doing good, but I still I don't trust Levi that much, I trust his sister more. I also think that Hua is adorable like she is a softie from the outside but could pull any shit off.

"Hey princess" Leo comes and hugs me from behind while giving me a kiss on my cheek. "didn't know you had the night watch tonight" Leo continues.

"You're the one taking over for me?" I ask, he nods slightly and plops down beside me, with my hand in his, he starts to play with my fingers making the butterflies in my stomach go wild. We sit in silence, the only sound that's heard are the Zombies outside.

"do you Think they're, okay?" I ask deciding to break the silence. Leo looks at me for a second before nodding confidently and squeezing my hand. "Both of them are stubborn as fuck" He says, I smile at him before placing my head on his shoulder.

"Think we can trust Levi and the two others?" I ask as Leo wraps an arm around me.

"Yeah, they seem genuine. Levi may be a little hard-headed but it's the apocalypse" He assures me, and I nod.

"Especially Hua, she's such a cutie" I say looking up at him, Leo chuckle then kisses my forehead and I snuggle closer to his side. "Wanna play a game of 20 questions?" I ask. I hear him hum and with that we start our game of 20 question. He asks me a question I ask him.

"How many siblings?" I ask playing with the hem of his shirt.

"1, an older brother" He answers easily then seems to think about a question. "Favorite color?"

"Easy, purple" This seems to go back and forth for some time. It wasn't anything deep. We both know about each other's pasts and we know the lines we're allowed to cross. After some time, I begin to feel sleepy.

"Go, I'm fine here" He says, I shake my head and snuggle closer. "Then at least sleep" He says, I nod slowly, and I feel him kiss my forehead, I close my eyes with a yawn, and I feel the darkness pull me into its abyss.

I'm standing on the other side of double-sided glass staring at my father who's sitting cuffed to a table with a cop in front of him. I'm standing beside on myself as we watch the interrogation happen. My father lying his ass off.

"I wasn't the one who shot my wife, I would never and could never do something so brutal" My father lies with tears in his eyes as he clenches his fist under the table. "I don't know what Mariah is telling people, but I would never"?

"If that's so, why were you chasing your daughter yelling at her?" The cop asks, I take a deep shaky breath, they can't let me back with that monster. They can't.

"I was trying to make sure she was alright, unfortunately that cost the real murderer to escape" My dad says shaking his head feigning sadness. "I couldn't let my Babygirl run out so recklessly" I Scoff loudly.

"Babygirl" I whisper in disgust.

"Your neighbors didn't see anyone escape; they were all outside" The cop says, my dad's face falters just a little and the cop seems to notice. As much as my dad knows how to act, his anger issues are and will always be there.

"Well then they're damn blind! I would never kill my wife" He says raising his voice a little more.

"He did it, I swear to you he did it" I tell the cop beside me in fear. He nods at me but says nothing else then I look at my father with teary eyes.