Chapter 11

My eyes shot open and I saw the plane and everything inside it shake.
"I am very sorry to tell you that there are some turbulences. Please remain seated.", the pilot said through the speaker.

Then the one thing I didn't want Matteo to see happened. I got a panic attack. Shaking uncontrollably my breathing became hectic. My chest felt like I was being compressed.
He put his hands on my cheeks and made me face him.

I was still shaking and breathing heavily when he started talking calm and collected. "Nothing will happen to you, I promise. In a few minute everything will be normal again. I am here. I won't let anything happen to you."

Staring back into his eyes he seemed unfazed by what's happening right now. Maybe he was lying but what he said calmed me down at least a bit. His ocean blue eyes drew me in and I was lost staring at him. My breathing slowly started to become steady again while my hands were still shaking.

And he was right. A few minutes later everything was normal again. Matteo let go of my face and took his laptop out again acting as if nothing happened.
"Thank you.", I said looking down at my hands and fidgeting with my fingers.
"Couldn't let you die of a panic attack. I need to keep you safe until the cops close the case. After that you can suffocate.", he stated coldly and continued typing on his laptop.

Ok, everything he said was a lie. When the police officers close the case he will let me go. More like he will throw me out like trash. If I die after that he wouldn't care. He probably would be glad. For a split second I thought he actually cared. Stupid me.

A couple of hours later we landed in Italy. I am excited because I always wanted to come here and never had the chance. The only negative thing is that I won't get the chance to leave the place we are going to stay at. So, no sightseeing for me.

Matteo and I got out of the plane and walked towards a black Lamborghini. I stood there looking at the car in awe. Not being able to stop myself I caressed the hood of the car. A smile was plastered on my face.

"Could you stop petting my car and get in?", Matteo said irritated by my behaviour. Going around to the door I slipped in and turned my head to him. "Do you never admire your car? You know it's just like plants.. it'll live longer if you talk to it and treat it nicely."

He stared at me for a second then shaking his head. "You're crazy." Then he hit the gas and drove off fast.
I gripped the door handle and sighed. "Poor car. Don't worry I'll give you love.", I whispered and continued stroking the car. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Matteo looking at me with his eyebrows furrowed.

We have been driving for an hour now and I still didn't know where exactly we are going and why. I decided asking him once again. "Mr. Rizzo, would you please be so kind and tell me where we are going?"

Waiting for his response I looked at him. The right corner of his lips twitched for a second before he plastered a cold emotionless expression back onto his face. "As I already told you we are going to stay with my parents at my childhood home."

"Do they know who I am?", I asked him curiously while looking out of the window.
"About that...you have to pretend to be my girlfriend." That Statement caused me to snap my head back to him. I started laughing because he was obviously joking.
"Y-Yeah r-right. They w-will totally b-believe that.", I was able to say while laughing like an idiot and clutching my stomach. His face remained serious.

"I wasn't joking. Believe me it's for the better if we pretend to be together."
Trying to calm myself down I took a minute before replying to him.
"We can try. But I don't think anyone would believe us. Why are we going to stay there?"

Matteo took a deep breath and his grip on the steering wheel tightened. "I told you already it's none of your business."
"It is if that means I'm moving or living miles away from New York."
"Do your really want to know the truth?", he asked. His voice sounded like he's warning me that I won't like the answer.
"Yes I do."