Chapter 37

The following week went by in a blur.
Most of the time I was sleeping. Matteo took care of me whenever I was awake. He brought me amazing food and changed the bandaid daily. Even further he applied a lot of soothing cream on my bruises.

It all felt like I was dreaming and not really alive. Like life is continuing and I'm not being a part of it. Don't get me wrong. Matteo has been so sweet to me as he made sure I was getting better. All of the sweet little kisses here and there and the cuddling in his big arms. But there's something off. Yesterday he's been acting weird and secretive. When I asked him if something is wrong he quickly shook it off and tried to distract me by talking about another topic.

Amy and Cristian came by a lot and we had long conversations. They told me about how much their relationship has developed and that they secretly have seen each other more than anyone knew. Cristian flew back to New York several times just to have dates with Amy and I think that's the cutest thing ever.

Pietro, Sofie and Lukas visited me twice. We had a lot of time to catch up and Sofie even revealed that she's pregnant again. This time they are expecting a baby girl. Lukas was so excited about being a big brother. He told me that he's going to teach his sister how to play with his cars and she would even get to use his favorite one.

Raffael literally saw me each day several times since he's currently staying here again. Of course he had to show me that he improved his cooking skills. And he was right. His lasagna almost tasted exactly like mine. When I complimented him on his food he grinned like a little boy.

Lastly Matteos parents talked to me all the time. Especially Giorgia. She was dreading the moment I could finally leave the room and go outside again. Once she reminded me that we didn't get the chance to cook what the chef back in Hawaii taught her. I promised that as soon as Matteo is letting me get up we would make the dish.

Although I was feeling a lot better and ready to leave our room Matteo didn't let me. He said I should take it slow and get as much rest as needed. Somehow I had the feeling there were other reason to keep me in here but after all I trust him.

And he never failed to make me smile. I was surprised when he got me a bouquet of black roses. He said that I should see what beauty I bought into our garden. The other day he admitted finding my sketchbook and looking at the drawings when Russo held me captive. Of course he had to point out how much he liked them and I should publish some of my drawings.

Even though Matteo did everything to make me feel happy, loved and better I decided that enough is enough. When I woke up today I planned on getting up and leaving this room. He already went downstairs to prepare breakfast so it's the perfect time to go down and give him a little scare.

Walking down the stairs and heading towards the kitchen I carefully looked around the corner. Matteo was placing the pancakes he made on a tray. Then he turned around to get some napkins and I silently creeped towards him.

"Boo!", I screamed when I was a few steps away causing him to jump.
"Emily! You almost gave me a heart attack. What are you doing down here? Get back to our room you need to rest and-"

"Be quiet. I'm fine and I don't need to lay around the whole day. Let me enjoy life.", I interrupted him.

"Well, actually I wanted to take you somewhere today.", he said smiling at me.
"Really?! Where?", I asked him excitedly.
"It's a surprise angel."

Rolling my eyes I sat down at the kitchen island and took one of the pancakes placing it down on a plate. Matteo looked at me weirdly with knitted brows.

"What? I'm already here. There's no need to go upstairs and eat there.", I stated.
"As you wish my queen.", he chuckled and I started laughing.

"So, now tell me what's going on.", I demanded while we started eating.
"Nothing is going on. I don't know what you mean."
"Matteo don't lie to me.", I glared at him.