Chapter 15

I took that photo a few years ago on a plane. Truly looks like heaven to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up the next day with a delicious smell hitting my nostrils again. Quickly getting ready I brushed my teeth, applied some makeup and put on an auburn skirt paired with a white long turtleneck shirt.

After I was done I walked downstairs and entered the kitchen. Looking around I saw a woman making some pancakes and washing a few berries. She turned around and smiled up at me.

"Good morning. My name is Mary I'm a maid here. You're Emily right?", she introduced herself and shook my hand.
"Yes, I'm Emily. It's nice to meet you. Can I help you?"
"Oh no, dear. That's not your job.", Mary said.
"I insist.", I told her.
"In that case it would be helpful if you go to the dining room and set up some plates, glasses and silverware."
"Of course I will."

Smiling at her I gathered the things that I needed and went over to the dining room. Setting everything down I looked around and frowned. There's no decoration. The table and room looks so cold. Not homey or cozy at all.

Being unsatisfied with the atmosphere I rushed out into the garden and picked up some red amaryllis. Walking back into the kitchen I searched for a vase and found one in a cabinet. Filling water in the vase I put the flowers in as well. Mary looked at me confused.

"Where are you going with those?", she asked pointing at the amaryllis.
"To the dining room. It looked way to cold. I hope that's ok."
"It is. Giorgia, Davide and Matteo never really cared about that. Dining together was never a bonding thing. They just do it for time reasons and because Giorgia insists to do it. The men however always rush with eating and barley speak. Decorating the table never seemed necessary but I think it'll be nice and Giorgia will love it.", Mary told me.
"Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me and giving me a warning.", I chuckled.

"No problem, dear. I'm done preparing breakfast. You can go ahead and place the flowers there and I will call everyone." I nodded and she walked away towards the stairs.

When I entered the dining room I put the vase on the table and sat down waiting for the others. Soon Matteo, his parents and Raffael came in and we sat like the day before. I sat between Raffael and Matteo and Giorgia was in front of me. Opposite Matteo was his father again.

"Since when do you guys have flowers inside?", Raffael asked curiously.
"WHAT? Who put flowers here?!", Matteos father asked angrily.
"I did. I'm sorry if you don't like it. I thought this room could be a little more homey. If you want me to put them away I can-"
"It's ok. Let them stand there.", Davide cut in.

Then the room fell silent again. Everyone started eating not saying a single word. Not even looking at each other. And I thought my childhood place was the only unloving and cold place.

"So what are you all going to do today?", I asked trying to break the silence.
The four immediately looked at me shocked. Shocked as if it's a crime to talk while eating together. Matteos mother was shocked at first but a second later she smiled at me. At least someone who understands my attempt.

"I was planning on meeting a friend so I'll be gone the whole day.", she told me.
"That's nice I hope you'll have fun.", I said while smiling back at her. "What about you?", I said while looking at Davide Rizzo.

Maybe I do have a death wish but I will try my best to make this family bond as long as I am staying here. After all they still have the chance to be full of love and care for each other.

Matteos father stared at me for a while. His face was emotionless and cold. Then he spoke up. "I'm going to kill somebody today." After he said that he analysed my face waiting for my response or reaction. All I thought was that he is testing me right now. And maybe he is really going to kill someone. Who knows.