Chapter 23

I woke up to Matteo stroking my hair. Immediately a smile made its way to my lips. Whenever I sleep next to him my nightmares seem to stop and disappear. He makes me feel safe and protected.

"Good morning angel.", he said with a sleepy voice.
"Good morning Matteo." Looking up at him I saw a bright smile on his face. "Someone's in a good mood."
"Always when I see you and hear you say my name." A boyish smile was still visible.

"What are we doing today?", I asked him curiously. His smile quickly vanished.
"I'm sorry you'll have to stay here alone. I need to take care of a few things.", he said coldly.
"Of what exactly?"

"You're my date to a ball remember?" I nodded and he continued. "The ball is a get together for mafia groups. It's a tradition. Every year another mafia holds the ball and this year it is my turn. I still have to prepare everything and there's only one and a half week left."

"Isn't it kind of dangerous to have a ball with enemies? No offense but I don't see that working out.", I said furrowing my brows.
"We hold the ball to form connections or alliances. During the whole day of the ball no crimes of any kind are allowed. If someone doesn't follow that rule he or she will be killed by the first person getting to them."

"Did someone ever broke that rule?", I asked and raised one of my brows.
"Once, yes. He killed one of our guards. Another mafia found him and then tortured and killed him."
"That makes sense..I mean who would be stupid enough to mess with a couple of mafia families.", I chuckled.

Matteo leaned to my forehead and placed a kiss there. "You messed with me and I'm the most dangerous one.", he whispered in my ear.
"Oh, yes you're so dangerous.", I said sarcastically.

He got up and went to the bathroom. A couple of minutes later he came out dressed in a black Armani suit. His hair were still wet from the shower he took making him even hotter.
"I'll see you this evening." He placed a soft kiss to my lips and left the room.

I spend most of the day wandering around the garden and drawing again. Surprisingly I missed Matteos presence. The past days he was always by my side and I have to admit that I got used to it. Still sitting on the bench in front of the sea I started drawing Matteo sleeping in his bed. Last night I woke up needing something to drink and I couldn't help but stare at him. He looked peaceful and happy. His usual cold or aggressive facial expression was replaced with a cute little smile.

After about an hour I was done with the drawing of him and walked to my room to hide the sketchbook. Even though I know he liked my previous drawings he will probably think this one is weird. Weird because I watched him sleep. I mean who does that?

Looking at the clock I realized it was almost dinner time. I quickly went downstairs and started preparing some spicy chicken with baked potatoes and a salad. Then I went to the living room and made the table ready.

I waited a couple of minutes for Matteo to come home. Minutes turned into an hour. And finally I heard the door open and footsteps enter. Smiling I went to the door to greet Matteo.

"Hey.", I said placing a kiss on his cheek. He wrapped his arms around my waist and held me for a minute.
"Sorry for being late.", he apologized.
"It's ok I understand. Now come with me let's eat something."

We went into the living room and started eating. Matteo told me that he loved my food causing me to smile the whole time. When we finished eating I got up and cleaned the kitchen while he went into his office. I tried to clean everything as fast as I could because I was desperate to spend time with Matteo.

Soon I was done and went to his office. I heard him talking on the phone with someone about business. Deciding it would be best to leave him alone I walked into our room got ready for bed and laid down . Then I heard him entering the room and stared at him.