Chapter 13

When I woke the next morning sunshine was hitting my face. Turning around I realized that Matteo was already gone. I went into the bathroom brushed my teeth and applied some makeup.

Leaving the bathroom I went into the walk-in closet and looked at my clothes. What am I going to wear? I can't walk around in leggings or sweatpants with his parents seeing me.

Deciding that a dress would be acceptable I slipped into a auburn colored one. I left our room and started walking around the villa. Since I haven't had a tour yet I thought about looking around on my own.

The villa truly is huge. There are a lot of guest rooms with own bathrooms, a big kitchen and dining room, some living rooms, a bar, two offices, a gym, a room full of beautiful paintings and a piano. Outside of the villa was a pool and lounge. The garden was gigantic. It consists of a couple of paths with one leading into a flower garden. Another path lead to the small sea that I saw through the window of our room. In front of the sea was a bench. I sat down for a while and enjoyed the view and the chirping of a few birds. Maybe this will be my favorite spot here.

Walking back into the villa I heard shouting coming from the kitchen. I quickly ran there and saw Matteo and his father arguing loudly. His mom, Giorgia, pulled on Davides arm trying to prevent a fight from happening. Both men were furious and had their fists balled.

"See! This is exactly why I'm watching everything you do. You have done another mistake again. AND YOU EXACTLY KNOW HOW THIS WILL END!", his father screamed at him.
"What was I supposed to do? Let her run away? She could have called the cops on us!", Matteo shouted back.
"I'm sure you have enough friends at the police station that would have taken care of it! Now Russo is out for an innocent girl. You have ruined her chance of living a normal safe life."

They are talking about me..I guess his parents already found out our relationship was an act. Now they know the truth.
My life has never been safe. I thought.
Their heads snapped to me. Oh god, have I said that out loud?

"What do you mean your life has never been safe?", Matteos mother asked me.
"Oh, nothing. I mean no ones life is ever safe. Every second could be your last. I mean I could go outside and get run over by a car.", I tried to shake the topic off.

"Don't speak if you have no idea what we are talking about. Russo is after you which means you're practically dead already. Today the case has been closed which also means that Matteo can let you go. Thanks to him you'll die. Because he made a mistake and didn't even think once.", his father told me.

"I maybe made a mistake. But so have you! You made the biggest mistake! I won't repeat that. She's staying with me as long as necessary.", Matteo said to him with rage in his voice. Then he just walked out of the villa and slammed the front door harshly.

His father went  into his office. I stood there in the kitchen with Giorgia.
"I'm sorry for faking the relationship. Matteo has forced me to do it because he claimed it would be safer.", I told her.
"That's alright. Although I'm sad that you're not together because you would be good for my son."

I looked at her and laughed a bit. This makes me miss my mom so much. Giorgia is really kind.

"If you don't mind me asking...what's going on between Matteo and his father? Have they always been that cold and hateful?", I asked her curiously. Hopefully I didn't cross a line. I know I have no right to ask.

"Sadly, it hasn't always been like that. I had an older son. His name was Frederico and he was two years older than Matteo. Back then my husband was really loving and caring but Matteo was so little he can't remember that. When Frederico turned four years old my husband took him to a playground to celebrate his birthday.", she said and stopped for a moment.