Chapter 16

In a flash he was laying next to me on the floor. Blood ran down his head and I was able to make out that he has been hit. The man was still moving and then there was a shot causing him to stop.

I lifted my gaze away from him and saw Matteo standing next to the man checking his pulse. My hands were shaking from the shock and panic rushing through my body.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!", Matteo screamed at me.
"I-I just wanted t-to take a walk. I-I thought it w-was ok."
"Alone?! Do you know how dangerous that is? Clearly not."
"I'm sorry I just-"
"Get in the car. NOW!"

When he screamed at me again I flinched. His voice was filled with anger and rage. He was looking at me as if he wanted to kill me himself. I quickly stood up and sat down in his car. Driving off he gripped his steering wheel tightly and clenched his jaw.

"Thank you.", I mumbled. Matteo looked at me emotionless for a second and then turned his attention back to the road. "Who was that man?"

"One of Russos left hands.", he answered me while his grip on the steering wheel tightened even more and I was scared his teeth would crack any minute from him clenching his jaw.
"Is he dead?"
"Of course he is. Did you think I would let him get away with his life?"
"Knocking him out would be enough there was no need to kill him."

Matteo snapped his head to me and stared into my eyes with his dark ones. If stares could kill I would be dead right now.

"He touched you which means he has to die. End of discussion." Looking back at the road he didn't saw my confused expression.

Why did that man have to die because he touched me? It doesn't make sense. I know Matteo has no problem with killing anyone but this was a little over the top. We could have gotten away by only knocking him out.

The rest of the car drive back to the villa was silent. I was asking myself why he screamed at me like that. There was no reason for his actions. He has no reason to protect my life and I thought I was free to leave whenever I want.

When the car came to a stop Matteo stepped out of the car and I got out as well. He came around and grabbed my wrist leading me into the villa, upstairs and into his room. Then he pointed to his bed and I sat down. Matteo went into his bathroom and returned with a first aid kit in his hands.

"Take off your shirt.", he ordered.
"Just give me the kit I can do it on my own."
He stepped closer and was only a few inches away from me. "Take. Off. Your. Shirt."
"No. Give me the kit!".

Matteo bend down to my face and smirked. "Either you want what's coming for you or you're truly stupid and can't think."
I looked at him confused and thought about what he meant. Before I could make sense to his words he swiftly took my shirt off leaving me in a bra and top.

Thank god I'm wearing a top otherwise this would have been very awkward. And what the hell? Who does he think he is to undress me without asking. Rage took me over.
"Are you-"

"Be quiet and let me do this.", he said staring into my eyes . His eyebrows were furrowed and he seemed to be deep in thoughts. When I nodded he took a cloth and drenched it in disinfectant.
"This is going to burn a lot.", Matteo warned me.

He put his left hand on my shoulder and held the cloth in his right hand. Before cleaning my wound he looked at me with a weird expression on his face. Then he gently pressed the cloth to my chest where the man cut me. I hissed in pain and Matteo quickly pulled away not finishing.