Chapter 12

"Matteo! Oh, come here.", the woman said and hugged him tightly. "I missed you so much." She kissed his cheek.
"I wasn't away for long, mom.", Matteo answered while chuckling lightly.
"Son, it's nice having you back.", his father shook his hand as if they just sealed a business deal.
"Father."

Am I the only one feeling uncomfortable and cold? No wonder Matteo is never loving or affectionate. I can feel the daddy issues. Ok, it's obvious.

"This is Emily Potters. My girlfriend.", Matteo said pulling me forward. "Emily, those are my parents. Giorgia and Davide Rizzo."
His mothers eyes lit up the second he called me his girlfriend. She quickly came over to me and hugged me. "It's so nice having him finally bring a girl home especially if it's someone as beautiful as you are."

"It's nice to meet you. Matteo hasn't stopped talking about you. I already feel like I know you.", I said while smiling at her.
"I like her. Don't let her leave.", Giorgia addressed Matteo.
Then his father came over to me and hugged me briefly. "At least one thing my son did right."

I stared at Davide Rizzo. An cold unloving father that doesn't think high of his son. And I immediately disliked him. Just like my father. I just hope he never hurt Matteo the way my father hurt me.

"With all respect, your son does a lot of things right. Leading a mafia gang and having a daytime business truly is impressive. His hotel chain is the most popular back in New York and he does everything to keep it that way. Matteo is the most dedicated man I know.", I said looking at Matteo taking his hand in mine. He looked at me with a slight smile on his face.

I wonder if that smile is forced or if he's honestly smiling. But most importantly I want to know what happened between him and his father or the reason they are so distant.

"You truly think that?", his father asked me.
"Yes I do.", I stated confidentially. And that wasn't even a lie. He is taking care of two different businesses that are both very successful.
"You do know how dangerous this life is? Every second you spend with him could be your last. You are talking about him full of admiration but do you know that he kills people without hesitating? Emily, you should leave him before it's too late."

Believe me it's already too late for that. You're basically looking at a dead person. I thought to myself. When I was about to answer him I saw Matteo clenching his jaw and balling his free hand in a fist. His knuckles already turned white. In an attempt to calm him down I put my free hand on his arm stroking it gently. He looked down at me and I smiled up at him.

"To be honest my life has always been full of danger. Your son is the only person that makes me feel safe. If I die that's ok. Of course no woman would want their man to go around and kill people but that's part of his job and I very much respect that. You could also direct everything you just said to your wife."

Matteo looked at me full of confusion but also appreciation. His father on the other hand looked proud. That's weird. Why does he look proud?

"Let's go inside. You're probably tired and want to sleep.", Giorgia said and we nodded. Matteo let go of my hand and walked in first along with our luggage. His mother followed him and I walked behind the two of them.

Suddenly his father stopped me and grabbed my arm lightly.
"I know when somebody lies. Everything you said was the truth. You're good for my son and have my blessing.", he whispered in my ear and left.

Is he faking his hate and distance towards Matteo? I'm planning on finding out what is going on between the two of them. I have nothing else to do.

When I entered the villa we stood in a huge hall. Two big white stairs lead upstairs. One on the right and one on the left.
"We will let you two settle in and sleep. I only prepared Matteos room but I guess that won't be a problem. You two would want to share a room anyways.", his mother said smiling brightly.