Chapter 17

I woke up to an empty bed. There was no sign of Matteo. Guessing he already left I got up and ready for the day.

After changing into a pair of jeans and a hoodie I went downstairs. I heard voices coming out of the kitchen and quickly went in. Mary and Giorgia were prepping breakfast. As soon as they spotted me they smiled.

"Good morning." I greeted them.
"Good Morning to you too.", Giorgia said.
"Can I help you two?"
"You could set the table again if you don't mind.", Mary offered.
"It would be my pleasure." Smiling at her I went over to a cabinet and gathered some plates and silverware. Taking out mugs and glasses I tried to put everything on a tray but there was too much tableware.

"Let me take the plates.", a deep voice startled me. I didn't need to turn around to know that it was Matteo. He came over to me and picked up the plates. The rest of the tableware fitted on the tray. Both of us walked towards the dining room and Matteo held the door open for me since I had no free hand to push it open.

After setting the table we sat down on two chairs and waited for the others to join us.
"How are you feeling?", he asked me and I looked at him confused of what he's meaning. "The cut. How is it feeling?"
"Oh, it's ok. Nothing major. You saw it yourself, just a little scratch."

He balled his hands in fists and looked at me with his eyes full of anger. Did I say something wrong?
"Even the little scratch isn't supposed to be there.", he stated.

Before I could say anything Giorgia and Davide entered the dining room. Mary served us a variety of differenten dishes. There were pancakes, fruits, scrambled eggs, bacon, bread and lunchmeat.  I took a little bit of everything since I don't think we should waste this delicious smelling food.

"Where is Raffael?", I asked Giorgia.
"He had some work to do.", she said and I nodded.

We continued eating in silence but I quickly had enough. Enough of this atmosphere. So I decided to cautiously ask a question again. Hoping I wouldn't receive the same answer as last time.

"Does anyone has plans for today?"
"My wife and I are going away for two weeks.", Davide stated coldly.
"Where are you going?"
"We're going to Hawaii. Celebrating our thirtieth anniversary.", he answered my question coldly again.
"In that case congratulations and have fun. Hawaii sounds exciting. Make sure to take a lot of pictures and as soon as you get back you have to tell me all about it.", I said smiling at Davide.

He turned towards his son and frowned. Matteo was unaware of his fathers gaze as he looked at me with a slight smile probably enjoying me annoying the crap out of his father.

"Son, what are you doing today?", Davide asked causing us all to look at him with wide eyes. Did he really just asked Matteo a question. Like, showing interest?

"I was planning on taking her shopping.", he answered pointing at me. "She doesn't have a lot of things and somehow all her remaining things get ruined."

He was clearly hinting at the fact that my things either get torn apart or they get covered in blood. But shopping sounds nice. I would be outside and see other human beings besides those roaming around here. My eyes immediately lighted up thinking about getting new clothes after years of wearing the same things.

"Are we leaving straight after breakfast?", I asked with a bright smile on my face.
"I have to change first.", he said and left the room.

Giorgia got up as well and went out of the dining room probably packing her suitcase. She left me and Davide alone. He stared at me with an expression I could not read.

"What is going on between you and my son?", he asked.
"Why would you care?", I answered with a raised eyebrow and a slight smile on my face.
"Answer me."
"There is nothing going on."