Chapter 36

In the middle of the night loud bangs caused us to wake up and panic.

The window broke as gunshots were fired through it. Matteo immediately rolled on top of me since I was laying on the side that was close to the window. Then he pushed me to the other side down to the ground. As I was laying on the ground he got on top of me still shielding my body. His hands grabbed my cheeks causing me to look at him.

"I don't know what is going on. But we have to get out of here. I will fire a few shots while you run out of the room behind my back. As soon as we get out of our room you will walk behind me, ok?", he stated.

"No! You could get hurt!", I screamed at him.
"Emily. We don't have time to discuss that now. Downstairs is a safe room and we have to get there now! Please do it for me, love.", he said.

After I nodded he grabbed a gun out of his nightstand and stood up. Matteo started shooting outside while I got up and ran outside. Waiting anxiously for him to join me my hands started to shake and I watched my surrounding closely, scared that somebody would come and attack me. A second later he got out of the room as well and luckily he was unharmed.

"Follow me and stay close.", he whispered. Then we started walking towards the stairs. I was still behind him as he pointed his gun straight ahead ready to kill any attacker.

Each step I took was painful. Everything hurt badly and I felt all energy and strength leaving my body again. Starting to feel dizzy I hoped that we would make it to the safe room in one piece. I had to press my hand against the wall for support and was happy that Matteo didn't see me struggle or being weak.

As we were walking down the stairs more gunshots were fired from outside. Suddenly I heard two men screaming in pain and flinched slightly.

"Who was that?", I asked panicked.
"Angel. I think that were some of my guards. Come on we have to hurry.", he whispered.

We reached a corner and walked around when an unknown man jumped forward with a knife in his hands. The man took one step forward trying to stab Matteo in his stomach but he didn't get the chance.

Matteo pulled the trigger firing one gunshot in his chest causing the man to slump down to the floor. Suddenly two other men ran towards us and started shooting. Matteo pushed me back around the corner and waited for the men to run in our direction.

"Don't try to hide! We will kill you!", one of the men shouted angrily.

A second later they ran around the corner and stood only a few steps away from Mattei and me. They started to pull the trigger while pointing their guns at us. As I was still standing behind Matteos back I started to panic. Thankfully he shot them down before they were close to able to shoot or kill us.

Then he grabbed my hand and started running to a room not far from the corner. Once we reached it Matteo entered a password and the door swung open. After getting in he closed the door and turned around to me. Gazing around the room it looked like a safe bunker with two beds, some water and food.

"Nobody besides me and my inner circle is able to get inside. Don't worry we'll be safe.", he said while wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Who do you think is attacking us?", I asked.
"Probably some of Russos men that got away. But I don't know how they are able to get inside our property. It's impossible.", he stated with concern in his voice.

"Maybe you have a mole working for you."
"That would be the only logical reason and I think I know who would be stupid enough to do something like that.", he said.
"Who?"

"The guard that wanted to search you the first day we got here. He has done a lot of questionable things and the fact that he insisted on searching you despite me telling him to back off doesn't do any good for him", Matteo told me.