Twenty-five

Can you write a drabble about Boruto sneaking in his parents' bed because of a nightmare? *-*

"Kaa-chan! Tou-chan!"

Hinata heard him whispering quietly beside their bed. She grabbed Boruto and placed him on the bed between her and Naruto. Boruto snuggled next to her, but a few minutes later said again, "Kaa-chan! Tou-chan! There are monsters in my room. Can you come look at them?"

Hinata podded Naruto awake. "It's your turn today. I dealt with the space aliens last week," she murmured sleepily.

"Huh?" Naruto mumbled, but he felt the tiny warmth of Boruto between them and groaned tiredly.

"Naruto, go check the monsters," Hinata said with a yawn.

Naruto blinked sleepily, grabbed Boruto, and carried him in his arms as he slowly walked to the boy's bedroom.

It took a while to understand what the boy was whispering in his ear. His arm tightened around his son. "Monsters, Boruto?"

"Yeah! At first, it sounded like a bear growling."

"Bear growling?" Naruto murmured and yawned again.

"Yes, and then some loud breathing."

Naruto nodded blearily, trying to pay attention, but he was still so damned sleepy. "Okay. What else?"

"And then it sounded like there was a cat."

This time, Naruto chuckled. "Oh, yeah? Your monsters sure are noisy."

Boruto nodded, then started making sounds, imitating the cat noises he heard that had woken him up earlier—suddenly making Naruto's ears burn hotly.

He was wide awake now. That cat sounded remarkably like the way Hinata had been an hour ago...and that bear growling, the breathing...

"Yeah, Boruto, I don't think there's a monster in your room," Naruto said with a chagrined smile.

The boy's eyes were bright blue in the dark. "No monster? Animals?"

Naruto laughed and shook his head. "Um, no."

They got to Boruto's bedroom and Naruto checked in the closet and under the bed to show his son that there were no monsters in the bedroom. Together, they laid down on the bed, where Naruto struggled to fit himself into the child-sized bed, but he owed it to the boy for disrupting his sleep. After a while, Boruto went back to sleep after many more reassuring hugs from his father.

"Well, were there monsters in the room?" Hinata asked sleepily when Naruto went back and joined her on their bed.

He chuckled quietly. "No monsters."

He pressed a kiss against her forehead when she tucked herself into his arms. "Hinata, we're going to have to start closing the bedroom door from now on."

It took her a while to understand his meaning.

A minute later, she abruptly sat up and shrieked, "What?!"