Forty-three

Can you write a drabble where Naruto is injured on the battlefield and Sakura tries to heal him, but he won't stay still? So she calls Hinata to help keep him quiet and she caresses and kisses him until the med has done?

"Ouch! Sakura!" Naruto yelled as she tried to get his flailing arms under control.

"Naruto! Lie still!"

"It hurts," he wailed, clutching his arms. "I don't know what it is but it stings like the devil."

"Maybe you're allergic to this particular antidote," Sakura murmured to herself as she looked at the vial in her hands.

They'd walked into this cloud of poison, a trap set by their enemy. They were on their way to Kiri to help out, but they'd been ambushed by some rogue ninjas. The Konoha shinobi had been able to take down their enemies, but in the thick of battle, they'd been caught unaware by the unexpected poison bombs.

"Yeah, maybe, but I don't know. It feels like there's something crawling all over me." Naruto tried to claw at the spot on his side where he felt more stinging, but Sakura placed a hand over his to stop him from doing so.

"Damn it, I need to do a quick operation then," she said as she frowned at the raw spot on his abdomen underneath the clothes that had rotted from the poison they'd been attacked with.

But as soon as he heard the word operation, Naruto started to get up.

"Uh, no, that's okay! I think I'm fine, Sakura," he protested and tried to sit up, only for the medic to push him down again as he started shaking when his movement caused the poison to spread through his body, making him reach out and scratch at the burning feeling in his shoulder this time.

"Damn it, Naruto!" Sakura yelled. "Stop moving, I need you to be still so I can take out the poison from your body with an emergency procedure."

"I know, I know," Naruto said. "But it hurts so much, I feel like moving around makes the pain go away."

Sakura nodded, but he had to be still. "Who the hell else can help me do this and keep you calm enough?" she murmured to herself, trying to think.

Unconsciously, Naruto's eyes flicked over to where Hinata was helping with another shinobi lying on the ground.

Sakura hid a smile. He was so obvious about it but he still didn't know why.

Pretending she hadn't noticed, she suddenly slapped a hand on her forehead and said, "Oh, I know! Hinata can help me out! Maybe she can help you with that itch."

She stood up, but not before she saw a smile spread over his face. But then the stinging started up again and he slapped an angry hand over his arm, making him yell out, "Argh!"

"Hinata!" Sakura called out. "Can you come help me with Naruto, please?"

When Hinata heard her name being called, she glanced over to them, then walked over, but there was a frown on her face.

"Thanks, Hinata! I need you to help me keep him still."

Hinata glanced dubiously at Sakura. "I don't think I'd be much help, Sakura."

"Oh, you will be," Sakura answered as Hinata crouched down to a sitting position next to the prone Naruto.

"Thanks, Hinata!" he answered cheerfully, which seemed to Sakura that he was already feeling better.

She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Instead, she said, "Hinata, can you just hold his hand?"

"Just hold his hand? That's it?" asked the startled Hinata.

The medic nodded. "Let's try that first. If that doesn't work, we'll see if there's anything else that might calm him."

Hinata glanced at Naruto, who was still smiling with an eager expression on his face.

"Thanks, Hinata," Sakura said as Hinata did what she was told.

Meanwhile, Naruto held his breath.

Not surprisingly, her touch on his skin had him reeling because the itchiness, the unbearable pain seemed to have instantly disappeared. It faded when he focused instead on how nice her hand felt on his skin. She was leaning over him, so the curtain of her dark hair fell over him and kept the outside world from intruding into this intimate moment.

Not only that, her lavender eyes trained on him were making him suddenly feel lightheaded. Naruto felt like he needed to concentrate on breathing because she wouldn't let his gaze wander away from hers.

"Hinata?" he said but he didn't really know what he was asking.

She smiled at him. "Naruto? Does it still hurt?"

He shook his head, and her hand tightened against his. Unconsciously, she started rubbing his fingers, suddenly making him feel hot.

"There, all done!" Sakura suddenly said with satisfaction.

"Huh?" Naruto asked, blinking, finally remembering that Sakura was supposed to be performing an operation. "Are you done? Already?!"

"Yup!" Sakura said with a smile. She turned to Hinata and said, "Thanks, Hinata."

Hinata let go of his hand and nodded.

"Uh, Sakura, thanks, I guess?" Naruto said.

And Sakura chuckled inwardly, recognizing his disgruntled tone.

Then Hinata smiled at Sakura and left Naruto's side. There were still others who needed help with their injuries.

Sakura watched as Naruto sat up and his gaze lingered on Hinata's departing back.

Guess he still wants to hold Hinata's hand, she thought with a smile.

She patted him on the back and helped pull him up. "Come on, you're all healed so we can go help the others."

He started frowning at her, but she added, "Why don't you go help Hinata and stay by her side?"

He brightened at that and ran to catch up to her.

"Hinata! Wait up!"