Ninety-eight

I'm not sure if asks are closed yet but I would love! A drabble of Naruto's reaction to Hinata cutting her hair (to the length it is now) and maybe what made her want to do it? Thank you so much for all the drabbles thus far! I find myself waking up and looking forward to reading them

plus

can you make one where naruto purposefully forgets something at home to see hinata

Oddly enough, the sight of it didn't leave her in tears. She'd expected it to be more traumatic, but there was nothing but lightness in her heart.

The snip of the scissors continued and she watched the locks of hair fall to the floor as the hairdresser worked.

Hinata sighed and closed her eyes.

She'll open them later when Iroha got done cutting and styling her hair.

And as Hinata looked at her new hairstyle in the bathroom mirror at home, she felt better about her decision.

She just wondered what Naruto would say.

He loved her hair, she knew. She couldn't count the thousands of times he'd absentmindedly reached out to play with her locks when they'd sat together on the couch. Often he held her hair to his mouth to kiss, to his nose to breathe in.

There'd also been those few times in the bedroom that he'd shown his appreciation. Her cheeks burned as she remembered.

Hinata reached up and tucked the shorter locks behind her ear. She hoped he would like it, but she waited anxiously for the time he'd come home tonight.

To avoid dwelling on it so much, Hinata busied herself with tasks around the house.

The hum of the washing machine filled her ears. Consequently, she hadn't heard him step into the laundry room and she'd turned around to find him standing there rooted to the spot.

His first greeting from her was her shriek of surprise.

"Argh! Naruto! You scared me! What are you doing home so early?"

"Hinata?" he asked as he stared at her hair.

"Oh," she said, as she unconsciously reached up to touch it.

He kept staring at her even as he answered distractedly, "I forgot something at home and I wanted to pick it up..."

He took a few steps towards her and reached out to touch the hair brushing her chin. "You cut your hair."

Her gaze was uncertain as she looked back at him. "Yes. I hope you don't mind it." She was nervous. "What do you think?"

"You look beautiful."

She laughed. "No, really."

"You look beautiful. Really."

"You're not mad?"

He drew back in surprise. "Mad? Why?!"

"Because I know you liked it really long."

"Hinata!" he exclaimed with a sigh. "I like everything about you. I could never get mad about anything you change."

"Oh," she said and felt that funny little bump in her heart whenever he said things like that.

Still, she felt like she should explain why she'd decided to cut off her long hair.

"I just wanted a change." She took a deep breath. "To represent the future. Because now that you're Hokage, I just wanted to make sure that I—I don't know, matched you?"

He smiled at that. "Match me?"

She nodded. "Yes. Like something about us, being together. That whatever you do, I'll be with you. Always. I don't know. Does that make sense?"

"It does," he said as he stepped closer again. This time, he took her face and cradled her cheeks gently in both hands. "You wanted to look the part of the Hokage's wife, not just Naruto-the-man's wife."

"Oh, Naruto. You understand," she said with a smile.

He laughed. "Of course! I wouldn't be your husband if I didn't." He leaned down and pressed a kiss on top of her head, then just as tenderly, reached for the shortened locks around her face. His fingers tangled through her hair. His gaze locked on hers and his tone earnest, said, "I love it, Hinata. It looks good on you."

"Thank you, Naruto," she said, her eyes filled with gratitude.

He grinned and his mouth was already lowering to kiss her on her mouth. "It looks really, really good on you."

His arms tightened around her, roamed all over her back, and then pressed her close to his lower body.

She broke off with a laugh. "Naruto!"

"You know, I feel like I'm cheating on my wife with this new woman."

She laughed and pressed her face into his chest. "You're being silly!"

"I'm not. I'm just married to a very beautiful woman."

She shook her head again. She was smiling as she looked at the clock on the wall. "Oh, what was it that you forgot? You're not usually home this early."

He slid his gaze away from hers and scratched his temple. "Yeah, so I forgot that thing...you know, that um. The, uh, the—"

"Did I forget to give it to you this morning before you left for work? I'm sorry!"

"No! It's not that, Hinata. It was something else..."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, so...I forgot that thing... that I needed for the office!"

"What thing?"

He froze.

She was frowning at him, starting to get suspicious of why he couldn't name that thing.

Then she smiled. "You mean this thing?" She rose up on her toes to plant a kiss on his mouth again. Her hands were at the zipper of his jacket, gently pulling it down.

He laughed against her lips. "Yeah, this thing."