CHAPTER FORTY

March 23rd

The days are slightly warmer but going outside is still a problem without a good jacket on you. It's been a hectic past few weeks so let me give you the updates from what has happened so far:

My parents have made me cut out my social life completely (it wasn't much to begin with but now it's reduced to nothing) to focus on school. It sucks staying at home every single weekend but Carley, Blake and I have somehow made it work. My dad has also made me start looking around at colleges. I think it's mainly because they don't want what happened, to Daniella to happen to me.

We started looking a few months back but after a while my parents left it. I personally think it's a bit late to start looking again but I do it just to keep them happy.

Things still aren't to great in the household. Dads been spending a serious amount of work on a "project" he says he has, and most nights are in either in his office or comes home later. Mom's scared as anything because there's nothing that she knows about a "work project" and dad really doesn't have any other hobbies.

Kevin's still hanging around, which irritates the crap out of my dad. After the pregnancy scare, dad was really hoping Daniella would rethink the whole Kevin thing, but unfortunately for him, all that happened was was their relationship growing; and speaking of Daniella. Her gap year is almost up and keeps avoiding my parents whenever the topic of her near future comes up.

"I think UCLA looks promising." I mutter out loud in the cafeteria for lunch on Thursday.
"Only because that's where Zac's going, smart ass." Blake rolls his eyes, only have his girlfriend whack him upside the head. "Hey! I'm just being honest." He defends himself.
I blush, and stare down at my mashed potatoes. I haven't spoken to Zac since New Years Day.

Avoiding him hasn't been the easiest job and he sure has been persistent. Or was at least, for the first few days, he made it his biggest priority to speak to me. Anywhere and everywhere he could; but after realizing that he wasn't going to win, he stopped trying.

There's always those awkward moments when we pass each other in the halls. Though that's mainly to the fact that Shane tells me everything Zac says about me to the guys. Nothing rude, just how he's endlessly trying to speak to me.

Shane and I are in a good place now. Here and there he'll come and sit with us at lunch and debate superheroes and Star Wars. I'm glad he hasn't lost his nerd factor, though here and there he'll add in "please give Zac a chance." Ever since he joined in Zac and Ryder's bromance, he's been passing on messages from Zac, but I still ignore them. I still can't face him yet.

I miss him though. Every time I see him in the corridor, smiling with his friends, I hope he notices me and hope we have that moment of complete silence when it feels as if we're the only two people on the Earth, before I'm shoved back into reality by annoyed people still trying to get to their lockers.

Carley and her parents (mainly her dad) had a huge fight and shes now staying with me. Her parents wanted to send her to law school in England, after they though she was getting nowhere in her search for schools after we graduate. Even though for about 3 years Carley has been saving up to either travel on her own for a while or go and volunteer. She's not let anyone forget it, especially her parents. It's killer her completely, that her parents still don't think she'll amount to anything.

And week later, here we are, Carley and I sitting at our usual table at lunch, waiting for Blake. Carley is deep in thought and I'm not sure whether to start the conversation or just sit in silence. Oh well, I think I need to be the best friend in this situation.

"So what's going on with you and your dad now?" I ask Carley, sipping my uncomfortably cold orange juice.

"Nothing really, I spoke to my mom yesterday though. She says my dads still dead set on me going to England, so in short, can I stay with you a little longer?" Her eyes are filled with the pain and hurt her dad has caused. There's no way I'd be able to say no to her and I'm glad I don't need to.