CHAPTER TWELVE

Skittles

Everyone's whispering. I feel their eyes on me as I walk down the corridor, the homecoming disaster fresh in their minds. If it weren't for Carley and Blake, I would never have had the courage to come to school today. It's on days like these where I wish I was the invisible nerd before all the drama.

I get to my locker, hoping to get to class first and take a seat at the back. I open my locker door and am faced with something I never expected. Thousands of Skittles fill my locker, as if someone had shoved each individual one through the slits in the door.
"Looks like someone's trying to say sorry." Carley remarks icily. She's probably more pissed off with the two boys than I am, which is pretty hard to achieve. And although I really want to feel anger at this, Zac's gesture is so sweet and thoughtful, and my heart is screaming at me, telling me that, that one recess in second grade means something to him as well. I tug out my books and a note flutters to the ground. 'Sorry' is scrawled across the turquoise paper in messy script. My lips curl up into my first smile since my dance with him, but I still can't fully forgive him though; and just as if she read my mind, my reason almost instantly slams my locker door shut, nearly cutting off my finger tips in the process.
"Ouch!" I exclaim.
"Sorry, Hun," Sabrina's silky voice coos, her eyes glinting malevolently.
"I know your still pissed about the dance and you have every right to be, but Zac asked me to dance, not the other way around. So I really had nothing to do with it." I roll my eyes, tired of Sabrina's crap.

"Oh don't try to act innocent. Britney saw you, all over my Zac. And for that, you're gonna pay." She storms off,the sound of her high heels echoing off the lockers, click, click, click.
Somehow that confrontation with the über-bitch has shaken me more than dancing with Zac did, a heavy, ominous feeling weighs me down as I trudge towards class. All around me, teenagers are buzzing with the latest gossip, two guys were tossing a football across the corridor, ignoring the thin, gray-haired English teacher yelling at them to cut it out. Everything around me was total normalcy, just another Monday morning.

The calm before the storm

"Sarah!" Someone calls my name, I spin around, looking for the culprit. It's just before lunch, and hundreds of hungry students pushing and shoving surround me, all headed towards the cafeteria. I can't see Blake or Carley, probably off making out-again-in some secluded corner, and no one else would want to talk to me, so I shrug off the incident as my imagination, and continue walking.

"Hey!" Someone grabs my elbow, the hand is large and warm-definitely a guy's hand.
"It's not nice to ignore people." The melted-chocolate smooth voice belonging to the antagonist of my current situation washes over me, bringing with it mixed feelings of excitement and fear, disdain and sorrow.
"What do you want, Zac?" I sigh, turning to face him. Big mistake. His big blue eyes are begging, like those of a baby husky. How do you stay mad at a baby husky?!
"A chance to explain. Please? Just come with me." He pulls me towards the parking lot, where the few students lucky enough to have scored lunch-time passes are heading out to get something more substantial than cafeteria meat.
"Get in." Zac gestures towards the passenger side door of his shiny red mustang convertible. I comply, even though I know this is a bad idea.
Once we're on the road, headed in the direction of the nearest dinner, I turn to Zac. He's staring straight ahead, his eyes on the road, his expression stoic.
"Why am I here Zac?" I seem to be asking these kind of questions a lot lately.
"I'm really, really sorry Sarah. I don't know what happens to me when I'm around you, why I seem to turn into some...animal hell bent on claiming you, I just, you spark something inside me, Sarah. Something new I've never felt before and I just-" I hold up my hand, stopping him in his tracks.
"Stop it right there. I don't know what you're trying to do, or why you're telling me this when you have a girlfriend whom you obviously have no intention of breaking it off with anytime soon, but I don't want to hear this. It's not fair to me, not fair to you, and as much as I hate to say it, it's not fair to Sabrina either. And I know you've noticed, but Sabrina's been making my Senior Year-my last year in high school-absolute hell ever since you knocked me out in the cafeteria that day at the beginning of the year." Tears start to trail down my cheeks, and I scrub at them furiously. "She's been pushing me around, humiliating me, and hurting me, and these are technically all petty things, but add them up and they result in a lot. And it's all because you're talking to me. Even being here with you, she'll find out, and then I'm doomed even more than I already was after the homecoming disaster."
Zac looks shocked.
"Sarah, I had no idea-"
"Come on, Zac. Don't tell me that. She's practically posted all my humiliations on Instagram and Twitter, you can't tell me you had no idea she was bulling me. We should just go back to how things were before, when you were the football star with the perfect life, and I was the geeky girl in the background that no one noticed." He sighs, and places his head in his hands. We're parked outside the diner now. Slowly, after what seems like ages, he lifts his head, and places his hand under my chin, forcing me to look into his piercing blue eyes.
"I always noticed you, Skittles. Always."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N

Heeeey loyal readers!

So yeah, pretty short but eventful chapter. I bet you guys are all screaming at Zac to just dump Sabrina by now, but wait; we have more surprises in store!

Than for all the votes and reads we have so far!
Love you guys!!! 😍😘

Xoxo
Storm and Snow