CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Sabrina's made herself scarce.

For the next few weeks, no one sees her outside of classes, and even then she slips in at the last possible minute and is gone as the bell signals the end of class, like a ghost.

But Sabrina's post-popularity problems aren't what bother me.

Nor does Shane's new social life with the jocks-and Zac. Along with Ryder the three of them have become inseparable, you'd never have guessed that Zac made out with Shane's girlfriend.

It seems like I'm the only one suffering from the aftermath of that disaster.

Still, my problems don't lie with boys anymore.

Dani's home-pregnancy test claimed positive.

I'm going to be an aunt.

I pace nervously around the house, waiting for her to get back from the doctors with mom. My parents were furious when they found out, but instead of blaming Daniella for her reckless behavior, they turned on each other. So much for Disney Magic. Dad blames mom for not being there to cater to Dani's "womanly needs" and mom blames dad, saying that their constant fights are what drove her to these "juvenile acts".

Surprisingly, Kevin's been really supportive throughout this whole ordeal, He's even started talking about getting an apartment for him and Dani-and eventually, the baby.
Which is great and all-except dad's dead set on cutting Kevin out of the baby's life completely.

"He's not the kind of man I want raising my grandkids."

Those words scared me the most, probably because they prove that even my dad's image conscious of what people will think. Kevin's not from a wealthy background, his dad seems a taboo subject, his mom works as a waitress-slash- housekeeper, and he's studying art at the local community collage. He also outright forbid us from telling anyone else about the pregnancy. Forbid! The nerve!

I haven't told Carley and Blake, not because of my dad's sudden dictating skills, but because I can't bear to have them try and cheer me up even more. Since the whole break-up thing with Shane, they've gone out of their way to be overly cheerful and try make me happy.
I love them to bits, but they suck at handling break-ups.

I jump when I hear a car, only to slump onto the couch when it turns out to be just a passing vehicle, not Mom and Dani.
Shortly after, the phone rings, and reluctantly I pick it up, knowing that it's Kevin calling to the umpteenth time today.
"This is Sarah,"

"Sarah, hi! Anything yet?" Kevin asks, breathlessly.

"No, they're not back, calm down. It's not like she's gone into delivery." I snap, then regret it. I'm just as tense as he is.

"I know, it's just that the blood tests might say something different, it's not uncommon for those home tests to be faulty."

I know what he means. If the results say something different...the silence that stretches between us is ever lasting, but it's comfortable. It's nice to know that someone else is as worried about this as I am.

"I love her, Sarah." I smile slightly, even though he can't see me.

"I know." It seems everyone around me is falling in love lately. Carley and Blake, Dani and Kevin, even Ryder and Amelia. Since Zac and Sabrina ended, they became the new "it" couple of SouthValley. Then again, there are couple falling apart just as fast. Mom and Dad, Zac and Sabrina, me and Shane.

"She's lucky to have a sister like you." He says, and I try not to cry. Still, tears well up inside me.

"I was always afraid I was never good enough to be her sister." I confess. I don't know why I'm telling this over the phone to the guy who got my sister pregnant, but the truth has to come out sometime I guess.