CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Headed Home

The past week could not have been more perfect. Okay, that's a lie, but I'm ignoring all the Zac-related drama, my suddenly conflicting emotions, and the fact that I can't bring myself to say those three little words to Shane-but other than that-it's been just breathtaking.

As our final memory of Disneyland, Mia and Shawn drag Zac, myself, and-grudgingly-Shane down to the "Jedi Training Academy" which had me pretty exited, until I realized it was a stage show and only for kids 4-12.

"Don't worry, babe, it probably won't be that great anyway." Shane laughs at my disappointed expression.

"Star-wars, Shane. Star-wars." Zac sings, laughing. "It's gotta be awesome. And if they manage to stuff it up, I'm suing Disney."

"I'm trusting George Lucas judgement on selling the rights, I just hope they don't stuff up episode VII." I didn't even enjoy Star Wars until Carley and Blake came along. I make a mental note to try and see if I can get those two matching Jedi robes or something.

"Hey, it's starting! Zac, go behind me, or they won't see me and they'll choose someone else!" Mia grumbles as she shoves her brother out the way.
Some guys dressed as Jedi appear on stage, and address the crowd. Then the one who appears to be the "leader" does some well-choreographed moves with a fake light saber, then calls up some kids. Both Mia and Sean get chosen.

Grinning widely, they proudly receive their capes and "training sabers"-essentially toys-after which they are made to repeat the (not really) Jedi oath.
Zac snaps a few photos of Mia and Sean up on stage in their mini-Jed robes, and I must admit, they look pretty cool. I really wish they did this for teenagers.
After battling Darth Vader, who keeps trying to convince the young padawans to join the dark side,the lead Jedi along with the voice of Master Yoda, dismisses the kids with some encouraging words about never straying from the light, and the force being strong with them.

I think it totally sucks that Mia and Sean have to return the robes and lightsabers.

"That was awesome! You got a photo of me against Darth Vader, right?" Sean greets us excitedly.

"And me too, right?" Mia chimes in, grabbing Zac's phone, and swiping through his pictures. He chuckles softly and pulls his phone away.
"Chill. You can see them on the plane."

"Ugh, I don't wanna leave." I groan, leaning back against Shane, his arms around my waist. He nuzzles his face into my neck.

"Me neither. This place is like paradise." Zac's eyes narrow, and I feel a pang of guilt for hurting him. I know how he feels, and here I am, flaunting my boyfriend in front of him.
It suddenly occurs to me that Zac and Sabrina are still together. I turn in his arms a plant a kiss on Shane's unsuspecting lips. As bad as it sounds, that makes me feel better.

As we walk back to the hotel, Shane and Zac get into a friendly debate; Star Wars or Star Trek.

Zac arguing for Star Wars, and Shane for Star Trek. It's weird really, somewhere during the week, the two guys stopped arguing over who got to put the star on the tree and became buddies.

Weirdest. Bromance. Ever.

"Don't get me wrong, George Lucas is a certified genius when it comes to the Star Wars movies, especially the original trilogy. It's just that Star Trek perfectly captures what Earth could be like during the twenty-third century..."

Personally, I think it's a ridiculous debate, because personally I think it's like arguing over weather chocolate ice-cream or not chocolate is better.
It depends on what mood you're in.

Although if forced to choose, Star Wars. Something about Anakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith...

And also because the concept of The Force is more appealing than people without supernatural connections exploring the galaxy to me.

And lightsabers.

Duh.

On the plane-during which I get to sit next to Shane, finally-I realize that I haven't said "I love you" back to him yet. He told me while we were in line for Space Mountain that he didn't expect me to say it back, and that he didn't want to pressure me into saying it before I was ready, but that was the problem. I'm not sure I'm ever going to be ready to say "I love you" to Shane. While he watches some Zombie Apocalypse movie on the screen in front of us, I wonder why I don't feel in love with him.
I mean, I should be.

And I care for him, and really, really like him.

He's sweet, and kind. The perfect gentleman, he's never pushed me too far, he loves me, he cares about me.

He's perfect.

But Zac, Zac has cracks and flaws. He's hiding this whole other person underneath, and, I don't think he's ever let anyone besides Mia, Sean, and for some reason, me, see it.

Shane's blindingly perfect, but Zac's beautifully flawed.

As the pilot announces our arrival back in good old Idaho, I shake all thoughts of Zac from my mind. It's December 30th, a new year starting soon. And this new year, will have absolutely nothing to do with Zac Cornelio.

It's not like I ever stood a chance with him anyway.

As we say goodbye at the airport to the Cornelio's I get hugs from both Mia and Sean.

"Come visit us, okay, Sarah? You're like the big sister I always wanted." Sean says, and I laugh.

"Why do you want a sister? You have a brother who loves you so much."

"But he can't do my make-up and help me dress up!" Mia chimes in.

"Ew. No! I want a big sister so that she can take my side when Zac and Mia team up against me." Sean sulks, and I give him a kiss on the cheek, just to mess with him. "Ew, Sarah!" He wriggles out of my arms, laughing.

"Do I get one?" Zac asks quietly, and my heart starts beating faster. I glance at Shane, but he's busy talking to my mom. Nervously, I place a hurried peck on his cheek, before a rushed round of "goodbyes" to his parents and then Daniella and I climb into Dad's car with Kevin and Shane. Well, I have to sit on Shane's lap, but I'm not one to complain.

As we leave the airport, and Disneyland, behind us, all thoughts of Disney Magic and boys disappear.

I can't wait to see Carley and Blake again!!