CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Thimbles
"Sarah, are you going to talk about what happened or not?"

"Not." I grumble as Carley glares angrily at the road.

"Babe, if she said nothing happened, nothing happened." Blake voices his two cents worth from the back seat. I shoot him a look of relief.
The rest of the car ride is spent in awkward silence.

Carley's mad at me.

But it wasn't my fault that I tripped over Zac and that he caught me. Would she rather I fall on my face? And it's not like I cheated on Shane or anything like that, I was just helping Zac out with Mia...and he wasn't about to kiss me...right?
I mean, even though our faces were that close together, and his perfect lips were right there...
Even if Sean hadn't yelled from the car, we wouldn't have kissed.
Right?

Ugh!!! Why is are guys so frustrating?
It's supposed to be simple!

Shane: hottie, boyfriend, totally into you=yes!
Zac: taken, broken your heart more than once, dating the biggest bitch in school= NO!

When we get back to my place, I climb out the car, nearly knocking over a box covered in red gift wrap and topped with a gold bow.
"What-"
"An X-Box one, baby!" Blake whoops from the back.

"You guys won the couples contest?" I ask, and Blake's grin answers me. "That's awesome! Congrats. Why didn't you tell me?"
"You were too busy sucking face with a guy who is NOT Shane to notice." Carley spits.

"Carls...you know I would never cheat on him, and least of all with Zac," I pout. Her expression softens.

"I know, Sarah. It's just...I want so badly for you to be happy, and Shane, he's perfect for you. Zac's done nothing but break your heart and make you cry." The emotion in Carley's eyes shows me a type of love I never knew existed in my best friend. I love Carley, but for all her attitude and loud music, she's never shown this side of her. It's soft, gentle. I reach over and hug her, tears in my eyes.

"I'm sorry Carley. Thank you." She hugs me too, tears spilling over onto her pale cheeks. The silent communication between us is totally lost on Blake.
"What just happened?" He asks. Carley and I laugh, and as I exit the car, I hear Blake asking Carley again; "You guys were about to rip each other's heads off, and the next minute you're hugging and crying," I chuckle and wave them off. At least I know she's always there to protect me, even from myself.

When I enter the kitchen looking for something cold and dairy-filled to aid me in my quest to forget Zac's not almost kiss, I find Nana digging around, kitchen utensils, pots and cutlery strewn everywhere.

"Oh good! You're here! You can talk her down from the hypothetical ledge!" Daniella snarls.
"What's she doing here?" I ask, my eyes wide with shock.

"I have to make some tea. Martha says tea helps." Nana muttered distractedly, rummaging through another draw.
"Okaay..." I say, not quite understanding. Daniella sighs.
"She got here about two hours ago. She had Martha drive her over, and then about thirty minutes ago, mom and dad go off at each other again. Now she wants to make tea."

"We're not British Nana, we don't need tea to fix problems." I put my arm around Nana, and try to calm her down. She looks at me with a dazed expression.
"Oh, Daniella! It's so lovely to see you again!" The tea forgotten, she hugs me enthusiastically. "Now where is your little sister, hm? I have a surprise for her. " she searches the kitchen.

"Nana, I am Sarah. There's Daniella." I say slowly, her sudden mood change scaring me.
"Oh, how silly of me! Of course you're Sarah. You have your mother's bright eyes." She pinches my cheek. "Here, sweetie. I just had to give this to you." She pulls an old thimble from her pocket.