CHAPTER FOURTY THREE

My mind is reeling. There is no way he's actually going to go through with something like this, is there?

Ding

I can't believe what my dad has planned. I stammer an excuse and make my way out of the room, to try and avoid dad's way too excited expression. He's grinning like he's just stumbled on a jackpot. There's no way this could...maybe it could work?

Ding

But then again it might backfire and ruin everything, and considering my parents already feeble relationship, that's not going to end well.
But what if it does?

Ding

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. I have other stuff to worry about, like answering that damn door. I make my way towards the front door, half-expecting it to be Blake, but it's Amelia again.

"Uh,hi,"

"Hi, " Her voice is quiet and uncertain, unlike the Amelia I spent most of high school avoiding, who was confident and unafraid of anything. "Um, Sabrina's car was parked outside my house, I think she's waiting for me to come home and..."

I smile in understanding.

"Say no more, come on in." She looks at me gratefully, and I lead her up to my room. Tentatively, she perches on the edge of my desk chair and takes in her surroundings.

"Cute room," She nods, and after my muttered thanks, the conversation becomes null and void.

"Well, uh, I'd better go check on Carley, she went to call Blake," as I speak, Carley enters.

"He's not picking up," she looks dejected.

"Aw, Carls, I'm sorry." Pulling her into a hug, I can't help but feel confused. Why wouldn't he answer her?

"Hey, what's she doing here?" Carley jumps away from me, and turns to Amelia. "I just saw you leave."

"Sabrina's staking out my house." Comes the simple reply, and Carley laughs.

"That bitch has issues. How'd you manage to put up with her for so long?"

"She was like a shield for me, stopped me from becoming a social outcast." Carley shoots me a look. If there's anything she despises more than early mornings, it's people afraid of being different, of standing up for who they really are. "But I've learnt my lesson. That kind of stuff doesn't matter in the real world. Reputation and image aren't everything. I just wish I'd known that sooner." She sighs heavily.

"Yeah well..." Carley shrugs. I can tell she's not exactly impressed by Amelia's former need to be popular, but she's not being openly hostile either, so...who knows, maybe she'll warm up to her.

Warm up to it, the thought has me thinking of my dads idea again. I've just got to warm up to it, he said.

I'm almost certain he's lost his mind.

And I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

"Hey, are those your prom dresses?" Amelia asks, excitedly, pointing at the two garment bags draped across my desk, and after being answered in the positive, insists on seeing them.

"Ohmigosh, Sarah, this dress is so...you!" She gushes, and immediately starts listing accessories would go with it, "...and a pair of silver pumps, or maybe something more flashy like gladiator style sandals..." I swallow.

"Actually, I was thinking of wearing ballet flats with it," I inform her, "just something simple, nothing attention grabbing, you know,"

"Oh no, you're so right, I mean, not about the flats, you can't wear ballet flats to prom, but I mean about the simple stuff."