CHAPTER FIVE

Make-outs and milkshakes

This has definitely got to be one of the greatest days of my life! Never in my wildest dreams have I imagined being FRIENDS with Zac. Yeah sure, if I had my way, we'd be riding off into the sunset, but sadly the world doesn't work the way my head does. Still, I mean he asked me, ME, if we were friends!! Um hello, does an object in motion, stay in motion?? Wait sorry, scratch that. My geek ways are taking over. I really need to learn to control that, especially around Zac. Someone pinch me...

"Ouch. What was that for?" I feel something sting me. I look at Carley and rub my arm. She's talking to me now, after the supply closet incident. She came to my house after school a few days ago to apologize for how she stormed off and to also thank me for actually blurting out her feelings about Blake.

"If you didn't, I don't think I would have ever done anything. So thanks"

I'm really glad they got together. Even though I already know and may even be the reason for their relationship, they're still trying to stay on the down low. They really seem happy. Hopefully I'll find someone who makes me as happy as they are, hopefully someone like...OW!

"Carley Rebecca Stevens!! Quit pinching me!!" I hiss under my breath. I don't want the entire school hearing me. The sharp pain brings me back to reality.

"You were day dreaming again and and the last thing we need is you causing an accident during peak-hour hallway traffic. And don't say my full name, ugh you sound like my mom."

We finally get to our lockers, through the mad rush. The crowds of people pass shortly and as I close my locker, guess who's making out in full view of everyone, across the hall. How Sabrina manages to stick her tongue that far down Zac's throat, baffles me, but at the same time my heart kinda drops a bit. Just seeing them together, it's killing me. What does she have that I don't have?!? Oh right, how can I forget. Head cheerleader, bleach blonde hair, she sits at the popular table and is the most known person in the school. Plus her mom is part of this elite book club that just run the town and is head of the PTA. How can I compete with that (Um Sabrina, not her mom).

I must of looked like a complete idiot staring the make out session going on, with the most pathetic look on my face.

"Hey, they're not with your time. There's probably a thousand other guys who are exactly like Zac with ten times better taste in flipping amazing girls, like you. Plus why try and compete with a girl, who's deepest thoughts are why certain shades of... 'Blush pink' just can't be worn." Her impression of The Plastics is hilarious and we both burst out laughing. Maybe she's right, if he's going out with someone like Sabrina, then I really shouldn't waste my time. He's obviously all about boobs and butt rather than brains. He would seriously make the worst zombie even known.

"So how are you and the boyfriend doing?" I nudge Carley and wink, but obviously don't need to ask twice because a tumble of words start falling out of her moth in excitement. She goes on about how the last week with Blake has been amazing and how the went to the park, sat under a tree and studied together, and this afternoon she's going to his house for a homework date and then on the weekend, they're going bowling. "Being with Blake feels amazing and it's really all thanks to you." She wraps her arm around my shoulders and gives me an appreciative squeeze.

"Yeah, it's no problem I'm glad your happy." Okay big lie, but I couldn't tell Carley that after she sounded so happy.

"You don't sound that glad. Is everything okay?"

"Hmm. Yeah I'm fine. Come on, we'd get to class before the bell rings."

***

The rest of the day goes by uneventful, same old same old. Lunch wasn't that bad. I'm actually pretty glad that Carley and Blake are a PDA kind of couple, so we sat like usual talking about the upcoming sci-fi movie marathon on TV. It's a pretty big deal. Zac was back sitting at the popular table and I couldn't help but glance in their direction from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but if only for day, just to be popular or noticed...