CHAPTER TEN

Just One Dance

I am very rarely surprised. Living with two workaholic parents and a perfect older sister, I've come to grow accustomed to predicting what they got me for my birthday, where we're going on the next 'family vacation' and what Maria's going to cook us for dinner. My life is routine, predictable, and thus, I am never easily surprised. But this year seems to have changed all that.
"Surprise!" Caleb wraps me in his arms and plants a kiss on my cheek, his warm lips lingering too close to my mouth.
"Caleb! What are you doing here?" I ask, in complete shock.
"I'm sorry. Are you not excited to see your boyfriend?"
"Boyfriend?" Carley chokes out. "You took her on a date, then didn't even text her before your plane left. Or was that just some dumb ass ploy to surprise her tonight?" Sometimes, you just gotta sit there and thank your lucky stars for your best friend.
"Woah, Carls , I'm sorry-"
"Don't call me Carls, and don't you dare say you're sorry. I'm the one who got stuck tryna get my best friend out of a slump for weeks! Weeks!!"
"Look, I'm sorry, my battery died and I couldn't exactly text from the plane. Then when I got back home the stupid phone lost her number and-"
"You lost her number? What kind of an-I swear you just-I had to watch Amanda Seyfried chick flicks!" Her face is now officially turning purple.
"Look, I'm not the ass that dumped coffee and fries on her. You want to blame someone, blame that asshole with the hot blonde, he's the one who tripped the waiter."
"No, it was the so-called 'hot blond' who tripped the waiter, also, you noticed Sabrina while on a date with me? Dude, just-just leave."
"Sarah, look, I'm really sorry. I messed up, let me try and make it up to you?" He looks so sad, his eyes begging like a wounded puppy...
"What do you mean Zac tripped the waiter?" Blake interrupts. He's obviously been around us girls too long, because he uses that indignant tone we get when drama's about to happen. I start to register what he said. Did Zac trip the waiter? No, he had no reason to... I mean, not really. Sabrina had motive, and opportunity. The more I think about it, the more I decide I don't actually want to know.

"Whatever. I don't care. Let's dance!" I grab Caleb by the hand and drag him onto the dance floor, fully prepared to make a complete fool of myself in order to avoid the topic. We leave behind my two bewildered best friends, and start moving awkwardly to the beat of the music.
"May I cut in?" Oh no! What's he doing!? He can't actually want to dance with me, can he. Well, this is a fast song and...
"Excuse me?" Caleb turns to Zac with his eyebrows raised, daring him. Zac holds his ground, his feet planted firmly, his arms crossed, starring down my dance parter. They're about equal in height, but Caleb is defiantly scrawnier than Zac. I flash back to the scene in G.I Joe where the villain and Channing Tatum are in this exact position, staring off, and the villain says something along the lines of; Isn't it amazing that even when the world hangs in balance, two guys can still have a stare down over who gets the girl.
That seems to be what's happening, but Zac has a girlfriend, one who just got crowned Homecoming Queen. So why does he want to dance with me?
"Dude, just let me dance with a friend." Zac rolls his eyes. Caleb mutters something about chili fries under his breath, but I put my hand on his arm gently, telling him to stand down. I do not want to case a scene here.

"Why don't you go catch up with Blake, babe." I throw in the 'babe' to piss Zac off and to placate Caleb at the same time. You know the expression; two birds with one stone...
"One song." Caleb warns then struts off towards where Blake and Carley are making out in the corner. Possessive much?
Zac signals to the DJ and instantly the song changes to a slow one. Damn, he's smooth.
"Where's Sabrina?" I ask, trying to focus on anything but where he's putting his hands on my waist. I place my hands tentatively on his shoulders.
"Ladies room, she had some hair disaster, so she'll be in there for another hour at least." He chuckles, moving his hands from my waist to the small of my back, drawing me closer to him.

"Zac, what are you doing?" The question goes deeper than just his physical actions, and he knows it.
"I don't know, Sarah. It's just that...seeing you with that leprechaun feels so wrong. What do you see in that nut anyway?" His words stir my anger.
"Oh, and since when do you get the right to say who I date? And while we're on the topic, what do you see in that blonde bimbo you're seeing?" His face flushes with guilt, but his hold on me tightens.
"I'm sorry Sarah. Let's just enjoy this one dance before your boyfriend looses it." He smiles weakly down at me, and I can't help comparing this one dance to Romeo and Juliet's one night, before Romeo leaves for his banishment in Mantua, and Juliet is forced to marry Paris. Caleb being Paris and the banishment in Mantua being Sabrina.
I don't know this song, but I wrap my arms tighter around Zac's neck, my fingers playing with the light blond hair at the nape of his neck. Slowly we sway to the music, not speaking, just drinking in each other's presence, until we forget where we are, until we're not Zac and Sarah anymore, until we're not the football star and a geek, we're just a boy and a girl, two souls finally at peace, because we've found our perfect match.
The final notes of the song vibrate through the magical bubble we're in. I lift my head from Zac's shoulder, my eyes meeting the intense green of my Irish date.
And that's all it took for our bubble to shatter.

-------------------------------------------------

A/N

Woah. Intense, right?

Hey Readers😄

We're super sorry we didn't write a really long chapter like we promised, but hey, there's some serious stuff going on here! We can't give it to you all in bulk, you minds will overflow or explode from overload!!

So we basically just saved your lives.

You're welcome!

Please remember to vote, comment and follow!!!!

Snow is safely back home, and as thus, updates will (hopefully) be more frequent.
Lots of Love
Xoxo
Storm and Snow