Chapter 3-The Burning Truth

Chapter 3

•Alex's P.O.V•

I felt my eyes slowly flutter open. My vision was blurry, but after the first few seconds, I was able to make out where I was, my bedroom. The light was turned off, and the sky outside my window was dark, small white shining dots splattered across it. The faint light of the full moon shone throughout my room, and the soft chirping of crickets was all I could hear. It felt peaceful, peaceful enough to fall asleep in an instant. But the scorching hot pain I felt in my head made it nearly impossible for me to do so. I slowly sat up, clutching my head as I did. I felt a soft fabric across my head, slightly damp.

It was then that I noticed my dad sitting across the room next to my door with an extremely worried expression on his face. But there was something different about him, mainly his hair, and his eyes. I made out in the dimly lit room on my bed that his hair seemed to be a bright shade of red, and his eyes seemed to be glowing a red and orange gradient. I opened my mouth to say something, but it sounded more like a whimper than words. My dad looked up at me immediately, and a wave of relief seemed to wash over him.

"Oh thank god, you're awake." He said getting up and walking up to my bed. He sat on the edge and spoke to me calmly.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I'm feeling, extremely hot. Like I'm standing knee deep in the Saharan desert or lava or something." I replied, my voice raspy.

"Okay, that's good." He muttered. I stared at him in confusion.

"Good? What do you mean? It feels like I'm standing on Venus." I said

"Alex-"

"Also, what happened to me? What's up with your hair and eyes?" I asked, cutting him off.

"Alex-"

"Did you dye your hair and put on colour changing contacts or something-" I asked cutting him off again before being cut off myself.

"Alex, I can explain, if you would let me speak." He said. I shut my mouth and looked at him attentively before he spoke up again.

"Good. Now, do you remember anything that happened in the last two hours?" He asked. I hummed trying to remember what happened. Images of events flashed through my mind, and after about a minute of thinking, I had a full memory of what happened.

"The candle...the cake...the fire..." I mutter.

"Okay, that's a relief. You didn't hit your head as hard as I thought." He said holding his chest. I just stared, puzzled.

"Dad, what happened to me? What was going on with the fire? And, what's with the bandage?" I asked him, pointing to the fabric around my head. He let out a sigh.

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to tell you like this." He said. Before I could say something, he held out his hand, and a small ball of fire started to form. My room was illuminated by an orange light. My eyes widened as I stared at the ball of fire, my jaw dropped.

"W-What? How are you...doing that?" I asked. Dad smiled and and closed his hand, extinguishing the flame. My room became dark again, as my dad looked at me with the slightest bit of amusement in his smile.

"That, my son, was an example of fire magic." He said. My puzzlement only grew.

"Hang on, magic? As in, magic magic?" I asked. He smirked.

"Yes. That ball of fire I just made was an example of one out of many types of magic." He said.

"Wait, so...magic is real? It's not just in those fairy tales you told me when I was a kid?" I asked, shocked. He nodded.