Chapter 9-The Blazing Trials: Part 3-The Dragon King

Chapter 9

•Alex's P.O.V•

As if what happened a few minutes ago wasn't exciting enough. As Koran and Cirus lead the group, muttering among themselves, I caught a glimpse of Lexie. She had a troubled look on her face. I walked up to her and twpped her shoulder.

"Okay, what's wrong Lex?" I asked. She turned to me surprised.

"It's these trials. I know my family said that they weren't ever easy, but I didn't expect to come close to dying like that. And now Haru..."

"Yeah, but Haru's strong. He'll be fine." I said in encouragement. "Us on the other hand..."

We walked in silence for the next few minutes. I looked ahead and noticed Koran's expression, it was grim, somewhat regretful, secretive. This looked nothing like the cheerful, fired up, energetic old man that had introduced himself and the rest of us to Arceus not so long ago. No, he had something on his mind, something that was troubling him. Something he was keeping from us. We suddenly came to a stop, and that grim expression was wiped off his face and replaced with a smile.

"Alright elementals, it's time to start with the last of the Blazing Trials." Koran announced. He stepped aside, revealing a huge mound of volcanic rock with glowing bright red veins ran through, just like in the volcano, only more jagged. On top of the fifteen-foot mound was...

"A nest?" I muttered. Possibly the largest nest I've ever seen in my life, made of hay, burnt grass, feathers, and what looked like scales. Shiny, bright red, leathery, shimmering scales.

"Precisely Mr Fier." Koran pointed to me. "But not any nest. This nest belongs to a pet of mine. A rather, large, pet."

Koran whistled, and a shadow loomed over the group. A huge shadow. As quickly as it covered us, it passed along the ground and disappeared into the sky. The elementals stared up, their eyes glued to where the shadow disappeared, probably wondering what could have possibly cast a shadow that big. I however, had a pretty good idea of what creature that shadow could've belonged to. I knew it was a stretch, but then I reminded myself that I was in a magical world. Anything that I read from those story books seven years ago could really exist here. Then, a figure flew down from the clouds and landed on the ground next to Koran, flapping its wings as it descended. My suspicions were correct.

"Whoa... Is that...?" Axel asked, trailing off.

"Yup. This, my young elementals, is Azymondias, the king of the dragons."

Koran gestured to the giant beast next to him. The dragon stood about fifty feet tall with massive wings folded up at his side and huge, sharp claws. His red and orange scales seemed to shimmer in the sunlight, and his golden eyes and horns almost glowed. Being in his presence, I could sense that he was a very powerful dragon, not like I've seen any other dragons in this realm yet. Though, I still couldn't help but shiver at the colossal being standing right in front of us. Koran was right when he said that this was the king of dragons, His stare just screamed 'Royalty'.

"So, these are the young elementals that will undergo my trial this year?" He let out a low growl that shook the ground slightly, before lowering his head to us. We all took a step or two back, afraid that he might snap his jaws around us and make us his mid-day snack. Then, his golden eyes met mine, and I felt them flicker.

"This is rather interesting." Azymondias growled again.

"Azzy, you're scaring the students." Koran said to the beast, placing his hand on his giant nostril.

"Azzy?" I whispered.

"That's what Koran calls him. He's had that nickname since Azzy was a dragonling." Cirus whispered into my ear.