Chapter 13-Reunite and Reconnect

Chapter 13

•Zielo's P.O.V•

"Wait, you didn't know you were an elemental until two weeks ago?" I asked, intrigued. Alex nodded. He sat across me on my bed, cross legged.

He'd woken up a few minutes after he flopped onto his bed and started a conversation between us. We've been chatting for almost an hour now, and Alex just finished explaining the day his powers fully manifested.

"My dad told me he kept my magical heratige a secret to protect me from this world, and the dangers that came with it." He said.

"That doesn't sound like a good enough reason to me." I muttered.

"Maybe not, but you know how my dad can be."

"Still, that doesn't seem right, keeping your kid's elemental magic a secret his whole life." I said.

"Well, it doesn't really matter to me what his motives are. In the end he explained everything to me and helped me with the basics." Alex held out his hand, his fingers outstretched, then a small flame lit in his palm a second later.

"I see." I whistled. Alex closed his fist and smiled at me.

"It's not that impressive to be honest. I'm sure your spells are a lot better." He said, scratching the back of his neck. He then looked at me, a frown on his face and a hint of curiosity in his blood red eyes.

"Why did you leave?"

"Uh... Well, it's kinda hard to explain." I said, my eyes drifting off to the side.

"Try to dumb it down if you need to." Alex said, his eyes focused on mine. For a split second, I get lost in them, before forcing myself back to reality.

"Alright. Well, my powers started to manifest after I turned seven. Since then, my dad has been training me to control my powers as much as he could. I was a slow learner at first, but after a year I was starting to get the hang of my powers." I explained.

"Okay, well-"

"That's not it though." I interrupted. Alex's face lit up with curiosity.

"There's more?" He asked. I nodded in reply.

"My parents told me not to tell anyone about my magic, which was an extremely difficult thing for me to do at the time." I said.

"But you kept all my secrets when we were kids. What was so hard about that?" Alex asked.

"Well, when my parents said I shouldn't tell anyone, that included you. I wanted to tell you ever since the day it happened but my mom and dad forbade it. That's what made it such a difficult secret to keep." I explained.

"Oh, I see. That makes sense I guess." Alex muttered, scratching his chin. "Is that why you had to leave?"

"Nope." I said.

"Then tell me already!" Alex said, his face glued to mine with a somewhat, cute, intrigued expression. I chuckled and shook my head slowly.

"Wow, you really haven't changed." I said. "Anyway, I was handling my powers fine for the first two years, but after my tenth birthday, everything took a toll. Something happened that day, not exactly sure what, but it made me really upset. So upset that I went to bed crying about it." I paused, my expression going grim as the events of that night began to replay in my mind.

"I had one of the worst nightmares of my life that night. Black monsters with bright purple eyes made of shadows, they were were everywhere. Every direction I turned I'd find one. They chased after me for a while, and after a while, one of them managed to grab on to me. For a second, I couldnt breathe, it felt like the shadows were choking me." I said, my voice shaky, my eyes starting to well, my hands balling to fists.

"When I finally opened my eyes, I saw those same monsters again, only this time, I wasn't dreaming. My entire room was surrounded in pitch black darkness, and the purple eyes that chased me in my dreams that were staring at me didn't help the situation one bit..."

Alex shot me a concerned, but intrigued stare. I took a deep breath and continued.

"I don't know exactly how loud I screamed that night, but it was enough to have my parents bust through my door almost immediately. I remember my mom held me in her arms and tried to calm me down, and my dad cast a counter spell that made the shadows go away. They stayed with me the rest of the night, sat at the foot of my bed and read me stories, made shadow puppets, sang lullabies, but no matter what they did, I couldn't go back to sleep that night..." I looked up at Alex, his expression a mixture of fear, concern and sadness.

"I'm, so sorry you went through that. It must have been terrifying." He muttered. I flashed him a half smile.

"Don't worry about it, Al. That was five years ago, I'm over it now." I said. It seemed to cheer him up a bit. "And besides, ever since I came here to the elemental realm, my powers have gotten a lot easier to control."

"I hope so, I don't wanna wake up to a bunch of monsters looming over my bed any time soon." He laughs. I join him, sighing after a second. He then let out a long sleepy yawn.

"It's gettihg late, we should get to bed." I said.

"Yeah." Alex replied. He crawled off my bed and walked to his on the other side of the room. He didn't even bother to change out of his clothes before crawling into the covers.

'At least he took his shoes and jacket off when he sat on my bed.' I thought to myself. I reached over to turn off the lamp on my bedside table. I glanced over to Alex, his body turned to my side of the room, eyes closed.

"Goodnight, Alex." I smiled. He opened his dimly glowing eyes and smiled back.

"Goodnight, Zielo." He replied. He closed his eyes once again and turned his back to me. I pulled the covers over my body and closed my eyes, quickly falling asleep in the comfy duvet. An image of me and Alex together as kids flashed into my mind, and I felt myself smiling, before finally letting my mind give way to my dreams.

~~~~~

Author's Notes

Okay, I just had to put a little interaction between Alex and Zielo before I introduced his team mates. I really wanted to skip straight to the team, but then I thought of this and I was like, "Yeah, the team can wait. Childhood bestie comes first!" But I'm happy with how it came out, I hope you enjoyed reading and I'll see you in the next chapter.

-BlueBoyHalo14