Chapter 22: Sink or Swim

A/N: The Queen is under attack! What will the King and his council do?

CASTIEL

I WANTED to curse the heavens. Everything was going well according to my plan . . . until fate decided to pull a freaking plot twist! Couldn't they let things go my way? Parang ayaw nilang mag-succeed ang plano ko.

Around seven in the evening, I was still in the USC office when Rowan sent me the link to a post of "What's The Tea?" account on the CampuSite. Excited pa nga ako noong una dahil akala ko'y related 'yon kina Priam at Fabienne. Imagine my surprise when I read the post. My phone almost slipped from my fingers.

Just in time, Fabienne's name flashed across my phone screen. She must have also seen the post and wanted to explain, which was fine because we needed to put out the fire before it could grow and spread. Instead of an explanation, she informed me of The Herald's invitation to feature her as this year's magazine cover model and story. I still had no idea what Reynard's motive might be, but I gave her the go signal.

The fact that she did not open the topic about the alarming post could mean that she was unaware of it yet. So I addressed the elephant in the room by forwarding her the same link that Rowan had sent me. Hindi siya agad nakasagot nang tanungin ko siya ulit tungkol sa post. A minute or two later, she told me "It's not true" then hung up.

I thought of messaging her just to ask for an elaboration. Bakit kaya may ganitong post na lumabas? Sino sa tingin niya ang posibleng nasa likod nito? But I let her be. Baka sa sobrang gulat niya sa kanyang nabasa, hindi siya makaisip nang maayos. The comments on the post were also vicious and toxic. May mga nag-defend sa kanya at ang sabi'y huwag basta-basta maniwala sa tsismis. Pero may ilan ding malakas ang kutob na baka totoo ang kanilang nabasa.

We were just starting to build her image, then this happened. The timing was suspicious.

The next morning, I called for an emergency meeting between Priam, Valeria and me. Hindi ko muna in-involve ang iba pang USC officers hangga't wala pa kaming solid idea kung ano ang gagawin. Priam and I were the early birds in the conference room since we got here together. Magmula pa kaninang nasa apartment kami hanggang sa nakarating dito, mukhang troubled siya sa dilemma na kinakaharap ng First Lady niya.

"What is the meaning of this?" Valeria asked as soon as she came in. Her ponytail bounced in every step she took. Dala-dala pa niya ang kanyang shoulder bag, ni hindi man naisipang ilagay muna 'yon sa cubicle niya. "This is a really, really bad situation for us! Have you seen the number of shares and comments? They're calling her names!"

"Don't be so surprised." I placed my hands on top of my cane's handle and held it firmly in front of me. "Most people readily believe everything they see online. That's why fake news can spread easily on social media nowadays."

Val pulled the swivel chair to Priam's right and sat on it. She leaned forward. "Cas, you said she's clean, right?"

I nodded. "Fabienne confirmed to me that she hasn't been involved in any controversy that may damage her image."