Chapter 40: Walls Closing In

A/N: We're about to enter the final lap of PTQ! Buckle up!

CASTIEL

I WAS not sure if I should be relaxed or worried about Reynard Falcon's interview with Fabienne. Sure, it went well. Once or twice, that pesky campus journalist tried to force an answer out of our First Lady, but she responded to his questions gracefully. There was not any controversial topics during the interview—just some lovey-dovey stuff expected from a couple. Yet, I could not shrug this thought off my mind. When everything was going well, I always feared that something might not be right.

Perhaps I was just overthinking. Wala namang sinagot si Fabienne na makapagre-reveal ng kahit ano tungkol sa Oplan First Lady. Our agreement—our little secret—was still safe. There was truly nothing to be afraid of. But here I was, thinking and thinking on whether I missed something and Reynard picked something up or not.

Dagdag ko pa ang Alaric the Prick na 'yon. Until now, I was wondering why he changed his stance about the Freedom of Information bill. It had been days since the LEXECOM passed the proposal and the University Student Council approved the bill. Ang akala ko'y gagamitin niya agad 'yon laban sa amin gaya ng ginawa kong pag-request sa lahat ng documents ng College Student Councils sa nakalipas na tatlong taon. But he had not done anything yet. I could not tell if he was intentionally stalling or if he was just messing with me by his surprise move. Nevertheless, we should not lower our guard.

This seemed like a chess game where there were two possible openings, yet my opponent chose not to advance any of his pieces. What would be his next move? Where would he be attacking us? Would I be able to put up countermeasures?

"Cas? Are you with us? Cas?"

I shook my head as I snapped myself back to the present. Nasa conference room ako, kasama ang iba pang mga USC officer. We were having a meeting about our response to the post by GOTCHA! Covered. Rowan had sent out our official statement to the campus publications, hoping that it was enough to quell the rumor. But no. That gossip media doubled down and released another post about it.

USC in panic mode after fake First couple revealed —source

Whoever was behind this post must be trying to predict our movements. But their shot missed us by a hairline. While we were alarmed by their initial post, we were not in complete panic mode. I managed to calm everyone down and reaffirmed their loyalty. In short, they just revealed that they did not have a legit source in the council.

"Yes, I agree," I blurted out even though I had no idea what my fellow officers were talking about.

"You agree?" Priam asked me with furrowed eyebrows. Bumalik na siya simula kahapon. He was seated in his usual spot at the end of the table. "I haven't asked any question yet."

I squeezed my eyes shut and turned my head away. "Sorry, I thought you're asking me something."

"Are you okay, Cas?" Valeria squinted her eyes. "Parang disoriented ka yata the past few days. May sakit ka ba? Do you want to excuse yourself today?"