Chapter 38: Spot Check

CASTIEL

CASTIEL

BEFORE YOU could make any assumptions, it was not me this time. I was as shocked as you were with the recent turn of events. I could use the same trick twice, but it was quite risky.

I was not a superstitious person. If I were, I would have taken the actual storm as a sign that we would be hit by a catastrophe. I could have well prepared for it. We could have at least controlled or minimized the damage that it could bring to us. Because of the donation drive, I was distracted for a moment as I focused on a humanitarian effort. I was blindsided.

The post by GOTCHA! Covered spread far and wide on the CampuSite. This was always the case, not only on campus, but also in this country. The more controversial the post was, the more likely it would reach more people. Halos wala itong pinagkaiba sa paninira kay Fabienne noong isang linggo. The only difference? This so-called breaking news was posted by one of the big gossip accounts in the university. May sense of legitimacy dahil part sila ng campus media. Even Priam could not invoke the order to crack down on fake accounts and false accusations. If he did, it would be seen as an attack on press freedom.

To be blunt, I was least worried about the rumor being shared multiple times. Dapat pa nga akong magpasalamat dahil mas pag-uusapan na naman ang power couple namin. I was more worried about the insider source in the USC mentioned on the post. I kept everyone in line. I ensured that they would act the way that I wanted them or the way I predicted. So how could one of us possibly betray the team and leak about the pretend relationship?

It seemed ridiculous at first. Ngunit ayaw kong agad na i-dismiss ito bilang random guess na p-in-ost ng GOTCHA! It was possible that they knew nothing and they were only trying to bait us into admitting or giving hints. It was also possible that someone spilled the beans to them, and the threat to our secret plan was legitimate.

Either way, I needed to make sure that there was little to no chance that anyone would rat us out.

Oh, who might be behind this attack? I could only think of two persons.

First, Reynard Falcon. He mentioned in the spin-the-bottle game during the team building that he would not be pitching any potential secrets to the gossip accounts. That meant he was closely connected with them. He could use them as a proxy to attack us. Why not use The Herald instead? He would not use the publication to spread an unverified info. Baka kapag na-confirm na niya, doon na niya ipa-publish doon. Heh. He said that he refused to resort to lies and deception, but he was still capable of using underhanded tactics.

Second, Alaric the Prick. He mentioned that he did not want to clash with us yet, but I could not trust any word that came out of his mouth. Maybe he had gotten to one of us. With all his influence and privilege, he could offer anyone in the USC a better deal than mine to convert them to his side. Nasa kanila kung magpapatukso sila sa kanya. While this might be unlikely, it was possible.