Chapter 45: What Goes Around

A/N: Okay, okay! I underestimated you, guys. I thought it would take 2-3 days to reach 500 votes, but you proved me wrong! A promise is a promise, so here's the update!

 I thought it would take 2-3 days to reach 500 votes, but you proved me wrong! A promise is a promise, so here's the update!

CASTIEL

I HAD been losing sleep since the day Reynard Falcon requested the complete list of USC scholars. The dark circles under my eyes got even darker, making my black horn-rimmed glasses look like full-rimmed ones from afar. I was also absent-minded most of the time, trying to solve this Rubik's cube of a puzzle in my head. But no matter how hard I tried, I could not complete it.

Initially, I thought of delaying the release of the documents to give me more time to think about my counter-attack. But after some contemplation, I gave him what he wanted this Monday morning. I would only delay the inevitable if I did not. Besides, the documents would not cause us any harm on their own. Yes, they would add another piece to his puzzle, but he still lacked a piece or two. I was confident that he did not have the full picture yet.

So I made a "pass" during my turn in our silly game. I would let him have the files. I would even let him talk to Fabienne. Once he made his next move, that was when I would launch a counter-attack. It's best to let him think that everything was going his way. There was a chance for him to lower his guard. If and when he did, that would be my opportunity to strike.

It had been cloudy since morning. Dark clouds were brewing over the city, a sign of an impending heavy downpour. With the cane in my left hand, I stood at the ledge of the admin building's rooftop where I could appreciate an overview of the Elysian campus. From my vantage point, everyone and everything below me looked so insignificant. I wondered if the gods had the same feeling whenever they stared down on us from the heavens.

No, I was not thinking of jumping off here despite the challenges ahead of me. I was here for a quick meeting. Fabienne sent me a message right after her conversation with Reynard. She wanted to meet me and Priam to report in person, so I suggested the rooftop. Pwede namang sa student council office kami magkita, ngunit parang mas gusto ko kung dito muna kami mag-uusap. Tahimik. Mahangin. Hindi mainit dahil maulap. Wala rin masyadong tao sa paligid. Nakare-relax din ang tanawin. No one would overhear our conversation as long as none would try to eavesdrop behind the door.

The Herald's editorial office was also in the same building, so I did not have to wait too long. The door behind me swung open. I turned around. Fabienne emerged from the doorway.

"Hi!" Nakangiti siyang kumaway sa akin. Not gonna lie. Her smile brought light to this gloomy weather. She was a walking ray of sunshine after all. "Sorry! Pinaghintay ba kita? Tinawagan ko pa kasi 'yong stage manager namin para sabihing male-late ako sa rehearsals. Mabuti't wala si Direk ngayon. Baka batuhin niya ako ng pamaypay kapag nalaman niyang late ako."

"Hindi masyado," nakangiti kong sagot. I limped my way to meet her at the center, my cane making a repeated clanking noise. I came to a halt when we stood face to face with each other. "Halos kararating ko lang dito. Pasensya na kung pinaakyat pa kita sa taas."