CHAPTER 35

Few hours of sitting in the parlor and it was time for Maghrib. I stared at the stairs wondering what Amal might be doing, she hadn't stepped down since I agreed on leaving our bedroom to hers alone. I decided to walk upstairs.

I opened the door to notice her clutched on the bed. "I'm leaving for Masjid, will you be alright by yourself for a few minutes?" I asked but she said nothing. "Yes," her crooked voice let out. Had she been crying? "The masjid isn't far from here, I won't be long!" I said closing the door but she stopped me.

"Amar, we can share the room," she said.
"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes," she said, making me nod.

**************************
Amal POV

I stared at the ceiling as the tears trimmed like a faulty tap. Was I too harsh on Amar? This was his house and I had no right to tell him not to use the room. Moreover, we were married and I would be sinning against God if I did this to him.

The door of the room pushed open. Without staring, I knew who exactly had opened the door. "I'm leaving for Masjid, will you be alright by yourself for a few minutes," he asked and it felt weird but yet sorting that he was telling me where he was going to. Maybe, surrayah was right that Amar wasn't that bad.

I wiped my tears. I didn't want him to see me crying. "Yes," I muttered. "The Masjid isn't far from here, I won't be long," he said. I was scared of staying in this big house alone but I couldn't stop him from going to pray. "Amar, we can share the room," I said.

"Are you sure," he asked and I felt instantly bad for trying to deprive him of his room. "Yes," I muttered before he left. The silence that hit the apartment after he left was weird, I was used to Aliyah being at home with me or ummah.

I almost asked him to pray at home but I had no right to decide what he would do. I got off my bed to pray, when I was done! I ate from the food my aunty packed, when I was done I took a shower before laying down. I was exhausted. I used the duvet to cover me but I ended up falling asleep.

*******************^^

A hand waking me from my deep slumber made me flinch. After I noticed that it was just Amar, I apologized to him. "Sorry for waking you up but it's time for isha and you seemed to have slept early. The time is 11:30 PM," he said, making me nod. I got up before performing ablution.

I wore my hijab before setting the prayer mat. After praying! I recited little from the Quran before praying to Allah to make things easy for me. I turned to notice Amar putting on his Pyjamas. I Instantly swiveled my eyes. It was wrong to stare at him while he dressed. The closing of the room door told me he had gone downstairs. I instantly entered the duvet before giving a long space between where Amar was going to sleep.

The door opened again and my heart began to race. I tightened my eyes the moment I noticed him in front of me. I hope he doesn't make love to me tonight. I wasn't ready and I don't even know if I could perform my responsibility as his wife. The Lamp beside me switched off and my heart was thumping beneath my chest.

He slipped into the bed before muttering "goodnight," I turned to notice the long gap he gave me, I stared at the moonlight to notice the streaming light that shone through the curtain. Maybe, being free with him wouldn't be that bad, he turned in his sleep making me close my eyes.

The heavy snoring told me he was fast asleep. I let out the heavy breathing I was holding. I stared at the young man who had chosen to help hide my secret as sleep comprised me.