CHAPTER 7

The sun today was not here to fool. it was so hot that it could cook a pot of rice if left under it, perhaps I might be exaggerating so much. Perhaps this must be the way the sun in Africa gets too intense. I opened my umbrella even though it wasn't raining, but I bet you the sun deserved my umbrella.

I strolled from the gate of my father's resident. Actually, that exactly how I say the house of my father because I knew I was going to get married one day and go to a place where I will call my home. My father's house to the roadside where you can certainly discover a cab was a tiny bit of a stroll. I hastily strode very quickly so I don't squander time, after getting there 30 minutes earlier! I have stood stranded no cab or car was halting.

I was already getting sweaty YA ALLAH please send a cab my way. I was getting tired, I couldn't bear this any longer. I believe the right solution was that I needed to tell my dad I couldn't get a cab.
I was about dialing his number when a car parked in front of me, I didn't know why they had to stop. but For some clue, I don't even know.

I was delighted and smiling to myself. Few people who could have seen me would think I had become crazy I didn't know who was inside the car. I strolled closer maybe it could be some God sent who Allah has touched their minds. I could see a lady at the passenger seat who had a familiar face,

I bent my head to look through the passenger window but the door flung open, it was a lady's leg that was first at sight. I tried to look closer and to my surprise, it was ummaimah! Today was going to go well for me. I said in my mind.

Ummaimah and I had been childhood promising friends. You know the kind of promising friend who braided the same hairdo, had the same lunchbox and backpack while leaving for school! We also went to the same Arabic school. I miss those days where we played games like hiding and seek and what card, We both had a diary in which we inscribed about each other.

The diary said a lot inside. it had stuff like if I was wrong or being a nice Bestfriend,
We swapped each other diary every weekend to see what we had written inside. We had so many memories not until her mum died when she was 10 and they had to relocate, oh how I missed her.

I couldn't comprehend if she knew it was me, how could she recognize me so rapidly? "Hey, you must be Amal?" She asked staring at me from my face to how big I look, I think she was assessing me.
I was also glancing at how she differed so much from the little ummaimah I knew when she caught my attention again. "Sorry, do you by any chance recognize me?" she asked staring into my eyes.

Crazy me was still lost in how much she looked more beautiful and expensive. She must be waiting for my reply, But I burst her bulges by startling her. "Ummaimah, right?" I asked smirking weirdly. She kept staring at me. Maybe trying to figure how I turned out this packaged! But I couldn't blame her. I looked so slim when I was young.

However, presently, I had the shape in the right proportion. "I missed you so much and I have been asking around for you!" I said wrapping my arms around her. I don't know where the gut came from but I hugged her. she did the same.
after a while, I pulled away.

"I missed you very much?" I said. "Same here tun, " she replied. I laughed at the name she called me. "How have you been?" I asked missing the good old days we had together. "Just here and there," She replied. "I just came to Kano to visit my cousin," Ummaimah said.

"Do you recall my cousin who my mom visited once in a while?" Ummaimah asked.
"Yeah!" I nodded even if I had forgotten what cousin she was talking about.
"I came to visit them and buy my wedding stuff! I am getting married Amal!" she said making me feel envious. "congrats?" I said not ceasing myself from smiling.

"Thank you tun. where are you heading to so we could drop you?" Ummaimah asked turning to the car which was parked in front of us. "No! no, no. don't bother stressing yourself." I said cleaning the sweat that was trying to sprinkle down my forehead. "I insist! I want us to talk more, it has been a long time we talked," she said. "Sure, no problem," I said walking behind ummaimah.

There was another individual who was seated in the car and was being attentive to the music blasting from the radio. I tried stealing a glance but still couldn't place a full and clear view. Ummaimah opened the back door of the car which I slid in adjusting my veil and cleaning my sweaty self, so, the air conditioner in the car can help me breathe calmly.

I looked up and to my surprise, "you?"

***********

Thank you guys for always having time for my novel🌹😩

I feel honored honestly.
Please, don't forget to press the star button thank you❤️