CHAPTER 1

AMAL POV

The cold air coming from the air-conditioner in my room was incredibly amazing, even though I felt so much cold. I still left it on before retiring to bed every night, I woke up stretching my body. I felt weary and tired. I knew my tiredness wasn't based on reading late or doing house chores but was based on late charting at night.

Most of my friends on social media platforms like Whatsapp, Instagram are mostly active and lively at night. And God knows I couldn't miss those chats. My mum thinks it unhealthy to use our phone at night, she says it damages the eye but I was too stubborn to heed her. Whenever she comes to my room at night to check if the windows were not left open due to a lot of mosquitoes that may eventually cause malaria.

I get to surprise her Because she finds me awake still on my phone, And it gets her angry that I wake up late as a lady due to sleeping late or keeping late night. She had complained so many times that it was bad not to have a complete sleep, but I never listen. Don't you believe the late-night chart is the best?

I lived at Kano with my parents and my only sibling Aliyah, we were Muslims by religion. God blessed my parents with two lovely girls. Kano was a cold city mainly during the December period. One thing for sure is that no matter the weather at that period, it was always coming with full force.

it was December already, the cold was more than every cold I had witnessed. But I and my junior sister Aliyah enjoyed it so much, maybe that was the reason we shared a room. only God knows how much I hate sharing my room with Aliyah. there were extra rooms in the house, but she has refused to sleep alone.

She kept saying she was scared. what was going to bite her? I mean I joke with her about seeing a ghost in our house. But they were all jokes. I checked the room and bathroom. Aliyah was nowhere to be found she must be awake already. maybe she might be in the parlor presumably, that her second room when she wakes up.

since her school was on break she was always Bestfriend with the tv, she likes watching Nickelodeon. I walked to the bathroom to wash my face. I looked at the well-furnished reflector and found out my headscarf was no longer on my head.

I quickly washed my swollen face and hurried back to my room to get my headscarf before going to my mum's room to say good morning.

My mom and dad hate it when we don't put on a headscarf, she says the shaytan (satan) has had the chance to use the toilet on our heads. But I usually imagined if they were just saying it to scare us, So we could get used to putting on a headscarf. I could remember those days when my father's brother visited frequently, He gave us a hot knock on our head whenever we don't put on a headscarf.

He says it is a sign not to forget to put on a headscarf. I always thought it was an act of wickedness because we were totally little then. But now I thank him because it is modesty in Islam. My mum always tells us that it was only our Muharram ( your husband) who is allowed to see your hair. Would I have someone to call my husband one day? would he be the love of my life? I stood frozen thinking all by myself.

I quickly brushed the thought out of the head. I nudged my blanket to check for my headscarf. But couldn't find it, where exactly did I fling it to For Allah (SWT) sake. I had already scattered the whole bed, but couldn't find the headscarf I put on last night before going to bed.

This was already getting me more pissed off, I checked thoroughly again but found my phone.
it was beeping and rotating so hard. it must be messages flowing from last night, I was charting and didn't know when sleep took over me.

I didn't want to touch it because if I was too. it was going to take me up to 48 minutes to check my messages from all my social media not that I was a celebrity or something, It just happened that I spend more time on social media.

it was tempting me to reply to those messages. thinking about it I could be fast in replying to my messages. it won't take long, right? I thought to myself. I was about to take my phone when I heard the sound of the room door swinging open.

I immediately pushed my phone under the pillow and stood up to stretch my two hands so it feels like I just woke up.

"You are still sleeping by 10.0clock in the morning when some girls in their homes are done with their morning chores." mum said. I just mumbled inakwana( good morning). "hurry up and tidy your room," mum said. I hurriedly arranged my room neatly.

When I was done I left the room to clean the house.

*******
Hey, so what do you think of my first chapter😻
you could probably just help by voting and commenting🌹
Thank you😁