Let's Keep Going (L x J)

(Lupin x Jigen)

"Lupin, we gotta go." Jigen says at the bottom of the grassy hill. The sky bleeds in oranges and magenta as the sun sets on the oceanic horizon ahead of them.

"In a minute." Lupin returns back without turning around. His silhouette casts a shadow from the top of the hill that Jigen stands under, waiting patiently with a cigarette burning in his mouth.

Jigen looks beyond the rim of his fedora, towards his partner's vibrant red jacket. He stares at the back of the mans head, the short hair still somehow growing messy from the evening wind, and the bottom of the red jacket flapping in the air. Leaves from a nearby bush blow in the air as the sun slowly descends into the ocean water, the sky fading to more pinks and purples. Jigen glances at his watch again.

"Lupin."

He looks up for Lupins face yet he is still faced with the thief's back. The thief stands rigid, his head hanging low. His silence speaks volumes.

"Lupin?" Jigen asks with concern, starting to reach his arm out as he climbs the hill.
He reaches up the hill and places his hand on Lupins shoulder. He stands by the thief's side, glancing briefly at the grave, then back to Lupins face.

Lupin stares intensely at the grave, his face not moving a muscle. Uncertain of what to do, Jigen places his hand on the top of Lupins back and rubs it gently.

"We gotta go Lupin." Jigen says as humbly as he can put it.

"I can't." Lupin mutters quietly.

"Why?"

"Cuz if I look away I'll—"
Lupin bites the bottom of his lip, his eyes darting around the outline of the grave as they threaten to tear up.

"That's fine." Jigen reassures, his other hand holding his fedora down as another breeze picks up. Lupins eyes flash with a watery glint as he finally pulls his vision away from the grave and instead, Jigens face. Lupin looks back in a mixed expression of awestruck disbelief and confusion.

"It's just me out here," Jigen reassures casually.

"And y'know, I'm here for you, so..—!"

Lupin suddenly takes a step close and puts his head down onto Jigens shoulder. Lupin restrains himself from hugging.

Shocked, Jigen lifted his hat off his head, his eyes looking down at the thief leaning against him. He listens Lupin making a quiet chocked sob, just once, and then fall silent again. Jigen goes to hug Lupin back but hesitates, his arms hovering around the thief's torso with a hat in hand. He shakes his head to himself, dismissing the awkwardness and continues on to go with his gut. He draws the thief in and hugs him close, Lupins hands hanging by his sides.

"Ji-Jigen.." Lupin mumbles bashfully.

"It's fine okay?"

"It's not."

"What's not?"

"This.."

The two stay quiet, though Jigen can feel Lupins tears soaking through his suit.

"Jigen?" Lupin whispers gently for.

"Yeah?"

"How many times... do I gotta do this?
How many more times do I gotta get some young, beautiful lady killed over... because of me?"