Chapter 41: Gauntlet Trials

It's the next day, and currently Cloud and Acerola were making their way to the station to meet up with Nanu. The two of them walked inside were met with Nanu taking a nap.

Cloud: Alola!

Nanu started to stir awake, as he noticed both Cloud and Acerola.

Nanu: Huh...? What do you want, kid...?

Cloud shows off the Ghostium Z.

Cloud: I cleared the trial like you asked. You promised me a Grand Trial battle if I did.

Nanu just sighed annoyed.

Nanu: Acerola, please tell me he didn't actually do it.

Acerola: He did. I saw everything with my own eyes.

Nanu: Good grief...

Nanu reluctantly sits up.

Cloud: How did you even become an Island Kahuna? You look like you never want to be bothered with anything...

Nanu: Because as much as I don't want to be one, Tapu Bulu chose me, and once chosen, you can't turn down the position.

Cloud: Dang. You're not allowed to turn down the position? How long are you supposed to stay a Island Kahuna then?

Nanu: After I kick the bucket.

Cloud: That's... charming...

Nanu then started to walk out the station.

Nanu: Come on, kid. Let's get this over with.

After meeting up with Nanu, he led the two of them to the Guardian's Ruins, where the battle field is at. Upon arriving, they prayed to Tapu Bulu after presenting an offering.

Nanu: The Island Challenge ritual, the Grand Trial, is about to begin. A righteous heart harbors malice, and a malicious heart harbors righteousness. May the two blend together and bring forth further evolution.

Upon finishing, Nanu looked at Cloud.

Nanu: If you want to clear Ula'ula's Grand Trial, I'll need you to take out three of my Pokémon. But you must do it using only one Pokémon.

Cloud: A Handicap Battle, huh? Isn't that a bit much for the average Trainer?

Nanu: A proper Grand Trial entails overcoming a great challenge. If you don't like it, you can always just go home.

Cloud: No. If I'm to realize my dream, this is a challenge I simply can't walk away from.

Nanu: *Sigh* Of course. I had a feeling you wouldn't back down. Are you prepared for a full powered battle?

Cloud: *Deep Breath* I am.

Nanu saw the fire in Cloud's eyes.

Nanu: There's that look from yesterday. And here I was hoping you would leave after hearing it was 3 on 1...

Cloud: Not at all. In fact, all the more reason to see it through.

Nanu: You're a strange kid, you know that?

Cloud: Hehe.

Nanu: Alright then, let's go, Tyranitar!

Nanu sends out his first Pokémon, Tyranitar.