Chapter 17: The Volturi

"So, I'm guessing you didn't rent this car

"So, I'm guessing you didn't rent this car." Bella joked from the backseat, of the car Alice had been driving with Seraphina on the passenger seat.

Alice let out a chuckle "We figured you wouldn't be opposed to a little grand theft auto."

"Not today." Bella agreed, clinging onto her seat belt as the car took a hard lurch to the left.

"Holy shit mom!" Seraphina yelled, grabbing the wheel from her mother as she let go, staring at the road ahead.

Seraphina steered the wheel, making sure to go loosely around the sharp turns, while Alice was still unmoving in the drivers seat.

Finally, the vampire grabbed the wheel back.

"What did you see?" Bella asked after calming heavy breaths from their almost crash.

"They refused him." she uttered, frowning at what she saw.

"So?" Bella asked, wasn't that a good thing?

"Fuck! He's gonna make a scene! Show himself to the humans!" Seraphina snapped in frustration.

"No." Bella exclaimed "When?"

"He's gonna wait until noon, when the sun's at its highest."

Bella's leg bounced in the back seat, sticking her head between the two in front.

"God, Alice." she breathed "You gotta hurry up!" she encouraged.

"There's Volterra." Alice spoke, catching Seraphina and Bella's attention.

The car raced between buildings, Seraphina leaned over the center and honking the horn at people in the way.

"Ina!" Alice hissed, only making her daughter laying her hand on the horn again and hold it there for a good 10 seconds before Alice pushed her away.

"Are we even supposed to be driving down here?" Seraphina asked, eyeballing the alleyway literally full of people.

"Why are they all in red?" Bella asked, running her hands stressfully through her hair.

"San Marco's Day Festival." Alice answered "They're commemorating the expulsion of vampires from the city. It's the perfect setting. The Volturi will never let him get far enough to reveal himself."

Bella smacked the seat she was on "We have five minutes." she stressed, struggling to keep her cool.

"I know Bella." Alice soothed "Just breathe."

"Ah shit!" Seraphina hissed, eyeing the police that were blocking the road.

Bella didn't even wait, exiting the car and pulling Seraphina out with her.

"Alice?" she begged.

"Bella, you and Ina are the only ones he can't see coming." Alice breathed out "If I go, he'll read my thoughts. He'll think I'm lying. He'll rush into it."